Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAKE 2nd Luft PAYPAL NIGHTMARE HELP!!

Here's the story guys,

I was communicating with this seller on Craigslist named Mark in Maryland who had a 2nd pattern luft dagger for sale. He showed me a few pics of the handle and crossguard from far away but "had no pictures of the blade." He said his grandfather was in WWII and passed it down to his father who passed it down to him and he seemed like an honest guy. I took a shot and paid him with Paypal thinking that I could get my money back if it was a fake.

Well I got it and saw immediately it was a fake...a very poor modern fake that I'm extremely embarrassed to admit how on Earth I couldn't identify that it was (I wish I saw that blade first!) I contacted him, asked for my money back and he only sent me $100.00 which I promptly refunded as an insult.

So I filed a claim with Paypal and explained that it wasn't authentic and after a couple days they sided with the seller saying that it was "materialistically similar to the one I was expected to receive" I called them up, telling them I had proof in the emails that it wasn't old at all in the e-mails (his grandfather's "story" and the link to where you can buy this for $20.00) and they asked that I upload them. So I did, and today they gave me the same answer!!

So after a lengthy phone battle, here's my recourse: In order to get my money back, I need someone to appraise the dagger and tell me that it is fake in some official capacity. This is where I'm reaching out to you guys for help! If anyone owns a business where they can write up a letter proving that this awful looking modern reproduction piece of junk is indeed a fake, I would be so thankful!
    Attached Files

Hello

Sorry for your unfortunate purchase. I would recommend Tom Whitman. He is on the east coast and easy to reach. Go to his website. He helped me once.

Good luck

Rich

Comment

Another Authority

You may also contact Lakeside Trader. He is in Canada

Rich

Comment

What I shame. That's the most horrible 2nd Modell luftwaffe that I ever saw

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

It`s realy terrible. I had one artificialy aged in hands some times ago. Blade is spurious and lack details on crossguard upper side.

Good luck in your refund.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Another Horror Story.

One more Craigslist Horror Story. It's best to deal locally when using sites like that.
            You may shrink the available market but then its easier to drive to meet face to face when closing a deal. I would inquire with a Militaria dealer in your area to help remedy this with a written appraisal. Good luck.

Comment

Always use a credit card when using Paypal, that way you are not relagated to having Paypal dictate the terms of a refund. If you receive a fake or nothing at all, dispute the purchase with the credit card & have them deal with it. You'll find your own credit card company much easier to reason with (most times) than Paypal which wants to make money with no liability for fakes, thefts & the like.

One thing, just make sure you dispute the purchase within 45 days as most credit card companies will disavow your remedy if you take too long to act.

Comment

Hi Everyone!

As an update, Bob Iqbal from collectortocollectormilitaria.com saved my collective butt and made me a very nice and professional COA proving this to be a bad Spanish fake! I've sent it on to Paypal and will hopefully get that refund!

I think he should be pinned as a great resource for collectors who get into a jam and need to prove their fakes are indeed fakes.

Comment

I don't mean to pile it on, but they must have been very bad pics if you coudl not tell that was bad!
                  I really do hope you get a positive resolution. Before the internet days, I had basically the same experience and after a lengthy time, lawyers fee and the help of Gailen David, I was able to recoup 2/3's of my money.
                  Ron

Originally posted by Garandguy56 View Post
                  Hi Everyone!

As an update, Bob Iqbal from collectortocollectormilitaria.com saved my collective butt and made me a very nice and professional COA proving this to be a bad Spanish fake! I've sent it on to Paypal and will hopefully get that refund!

I think he should be pinned as a great resource for collectors who get into a jam and need to prove their fakes are indeed fakes.

Comment

Bad Luft. 2nd

Originally posted by Garandguy56 View Post
                    Here's the story guys,

I was communicating with this seller on Craigslist named Mark in Maryland who had a 2nd pattern luft dagger for sale. He showed me a few pics of the handle and crossguard from far away but "had no pictures of the blade." He said his grandfather was in WWII and passed it down to his father who passed it down to him and he seemed like an honest guy. I took a shot and paid him with Paypal thinking that I could get my money back if it was a fake.

Well I got it and saw immediately it was a fake...a very poor modern fake that I'm extremely embarrassed to admit how on Earth I couldn't identify that it was (I wish I saw that blade first!) I contacted him, asked for my money back and he only sent me $100.00 which I promptly refunded as an insult.

So I filed a claim with Paypal and explained that it wasn't authentic and after a couple days they sided with the seller saying that it was "materialistically similar to the one I was expected to receive" I called them up, telling them I had proof in the emails that it wasn't old at all in the e-mails (his grandfather's "story" and the link to where you can buy this for $20.00) and they asked that I upload them. So I did, and today they gave me the same answer!!

So after a lengthy phone battle, here's my recourse: In order to get my money back, I need someone to appraise the dagger and tell me that it is fake in some official capacity. This is where I'm reaching out to you guys for help! If anyone owns a business where they can write up a letter proving that this awful looking modern reproduction piece of junk is indeed a fake, I would be so thankful!
                    Never listen to that old B.S. story about it was my grandfathers,etc.Thats been used so many times by these phonies its got moss on it!!Buy the piece,not the story!Why were the photos of the blade far away??That's was a red flag without the story you got from him!If you are interested in edged weapons I suggest go to a show and there are several dealers who have real pieces for you to look at.Also buy one of many,many books that show you closeups of good pieces.Amazon will have them and never ever believe these cretins and their stories.Get the knowledge before the piece!! CDR

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X