What is this sword?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this sword?

What is this sword trying to be? Maybe some type of TR civil service sword?

Whatever it is,it's good looking

Comment

In cases like this sword, there are few who would know for sure. My vote for the one to contact is Tom Wittman of wittman militaria. He is a friendly guy, and will tell you straight . This is the reason expert status is hard to reach in this hobby, as it takes many decades of constant education to be able to answer about things like the sword, and be correct. Otherwise you are taking chances , and can be led astray by wannabees, and many times stabbed in the back after getting an incorrect answer from many who claim expert status, but truly are far from it . Tom has an impeccible reputation for more than fourty years of honesty and frankness, for a candid answer you can bank on.

Comment

That is sound advice. The badge guys already gave the party badge a thumbs down in the Political badge section.

Here are a few more pictures, I'll try to get better pictures later.

Last edited by J. M. C.; 03-14-2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

It reminds me of the Hessen civil service sword that I had last year. There are some basic similarities.

Comment

Sword

Jim,
            Could you post an update on this piece when you find out what it truely is. I`m not a edged weapon guy, but this interesting!!

Comment

The degen is shown in the May 1931 Carl Eickhorn export catalog as a #1515 Galadegen ( aka Gala Sword, Epee de Cour, Espada de Gala).
              Available with blank rondel on clamshell.

If the badge is bad, evidently somebody is just trying to artificially enhance the value of a generic "court sword".

Hope this helps.
              Last edited by Roger Fox; 03-15-2013, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Fox View Post
                The degen is shown in the May 1931 Carl Eickhorn export catalog as a #1515 Galadegen ( aka Gala Sword, Epee de Cour, Espada de Gala).
                Available with blank rondel on clamshell.

If the badge is bad, evidently somebody is just trying to artificially enhance the value of a generic "court sword".

Hope this helps.
                I agree.

Comment

Thanks much guys. I will pass the information to the owner. It is a shame the GPB was fake.

Comment

I can't agree with your last statement, Jim: "It is a shame the GPB was fake." IMO it is no shame that the GPB is fake; it would be a great loss to the collecting community if an original GPB had been corrupted by cementing it into a sword hilt and thereby destroying both the badge AND the sword as genuine relics! Now, what some unscrupulous person has done is to take a perfectly good example of a pre-Nazi Eickhorn sword (per Roger Fox' note below) and deface it with the addition of a phony Nazi-era badge, thereby ruining the relic value of the sword -- but here again, I am thankful that the faker didn't get hold of an original GPB and stick it onto the hilt!!

Br. James

Comment

Sorry guys the owner has asked that I remove the pictures of the sword.

Comment

If anybody with picture posting rights on WAF desires to somewhat fill the unfortunate new "void" in this thread, contact me - foxart@att.net - and I can at least send you a scan from the Eickhorn catalog to post of the sword model discussed above.

Comment

Roger,
                          Email sent.

Comment

Here's Roger's scan...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X