Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Review: Heer Officer's Pantherhead Sword - Anton Wingen Jr

Hi All,
    I'm fairly green when it comes to swords of the Third Reich. As part of a US Soldiers grouping, I am being offered this Heer Officer's Pantherhead sword, maker marked Anton Wingen Jr.

With the group is a diary kept by the soldier where he references this sword as one of the items he is sending home to the family (Nazi sword as he called it).

I have no doubt of the authenticity, however as said, buy the item not the story. With that said, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

The photos aren't the greatest (seller provided), however when comparing to other known originals, nothing stands out as repro.

Please let me know what your opinion is on this sword. Also, and while I hate to ask this, I know nothing of value when it comes to these swords. There is an example on Bill Shea's website for sale, however the manufacturer differs and I know that can mean everything when it comes to price.

The sword does come with its original portepee, however unfortunately the seller broke it when taking the photos.

In any case, thank s in advance for your help!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It looks like the real deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DR DOLCH View Post
          It looks like the real deal to me.
          Thanks, Dr Dolch! Again, hate to ask this, however any idea of value?

Shea's example is priced at $1300, however I imagine there is a dealer markup/markup for who is selling it (i.e. a trusted seller).

Shea's, example, is missing the portapee, so I imagine there is value added given this example has it's original.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

It is hard to get that kind of money from an Army sword. Unless I am missing something you would be doing good to get $400.00-$600.00 IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by DR DOLCH View Post
              It is hard to get that kind of money from an Army sword. Unless I am missing something you would be doing good to get $400.00-$600.00 IMO.
              Nice original sword I agree with the Doctors price assessment I am on the lower end of it and that’s only if the grip and wire are not damaged and the blade is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by WW2-Collector View Post
                Nice original sword I agree with the Doctors price assessment I am on the lower end of it and that’s only if the grip and wire are not damaged and the blade is nice.
                At the lower end of $400 I would be glad to fill my ford van full at that price!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sunday View Post
                  At the lower end of $400 I would be glad to fill my ford van full at that price!
                  OK Ed the higher end of $400. I really like this particular cat head.

Comment

Thanks for the input, gents! I'm glad I posted this as I likely would have overpaid had I based my price off of the example on Bill Shea's site, even after factoring in the dealer's premium.

I'll be talking with the seller today or tomorrow and will hopefully be able to acquire this along with the other items in the group.

Thanks again!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X