Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with silver hilt value

Gentlemen:
    I am not a sword guy and I have this alum "silver hilt" sword with red eyes in very good condition. I was told it is customs or early SS. Would some be kind enough to suggest a reasonable value. Thank you very much for your help.
    Bob
    Attached Files

I'm not a sword guy either, but I can tell you that if the hilt is aluminum... no way is it SS.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyline Drive View Post
      I'm not a sword guy either, but I can tell you that if the hilt is aluminum... no way is it SS.
      I'm in agreement with the above (although over time that has not stopped the sales to collectors of Army swords converted and sold as something else). And every once in a while you see "scrubbed" aluminum and zinc hilts where the original finish has been intentionally taken off.

With that in mind (and no offense intended) setting a value for this sword I think may depend on some better pictures of the small details. With what I seem to be seeing here is a blade with evidence of corrosion (darkened areas). And relatively well defined carpet fibers. Contrasted with a hilt with what might be "soft" details - which is not a certainty. But just a sense of it with glare, lighting, etc. also being factors that make it difficult in trying to make a good determination. FP

Comment

alum "silver hilt" sword

other opinions
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ver+hilt+sword

My own little value opinion is the sword is customs and not ss.
        thanks again bob
        Last edited by rhj; 02-08-2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Bob, It was not me who suggested “SS”, and I agreed with Skyline Drive that it was not. With the lighting here making the hilt look more like aluminum. Also seeing some darker speckled areas in the Lion’s mane - but maybe it’s the lighting? With my point being that for both threads IMO some better pictures are needed. Regards, FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X