Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SS Eickhorn " rat "

My new dagger ...

Last edited by cooper11; 02-04-2013, 04:23 AM.

What's happening with the emblem?! Seems major mismatch given the condition of the blade. Where did you get this from?

Comment

The dagger is definitely original, is purchased from a man who found her three years ago in his house. Unfortunately - the eagle is corroded, hanger nibbled by martens, "eyes" on the hanger corrosion was unbuckled from daggers. But nothing changed. She was wrapped in a rag ... blah blah blah - I will not describe the details.

Comment

May be this eagle was replaced at some time, I see something like a glue under it.

Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Nothing 'wrong' with this near mint 1939 Eickhorn SS 'rat'. A beauty =

Grip eagle is aluminum which IMO corroded due to long contact with something else, perhaps stored face down. A hard varient to find, and rare to find in this condition.
          Congrats !

Try to find history of who owned the house during the war and you might get the SS owners name.

-wagner-

Comment

It was found in a house in Bohemia on the border with Germany - Skelná Huť, house number 10. In the house but never soldiers not live, just Sudeten Germans - from 1944 to 1946, the house was empty. So described the finder daggers.

Comment

Does anyone know whether this designation - "rat" - eickhorn used only at this ss daggers in 1939, and as such is used for other types of weapons? Ch

Comment

The eagle may be aluminum, but it possibly plated zinc, which would explain the corrosion. I do NOT see any evidence that the eagle has been replace.

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
                  Nothing 'wrong' with this near mint 1939 Eickhorn SS 'rat'. A beauty =

Grip eagle is aluminum which IMO corroded due to long contact with something else, perhaps stored face down. A hard varient to find, and rare to find in this condition.
                  Congrats !

Try to find history of who owned the house during the war and you might get the SS owners name.

-wagner-
                  Wow, I'll buy goods like that all day long ! A hell of a nice RZM piece !

Comment

The term "Rat" refers to the serrated tail configuration. Eickhorn used a lot of differnt etches. Notice the absence of the word "Original" here which used to be opined by some as an indication that the dagger was a post war reproduction.
                    Jim

Comment

A very, very fine RZM SS dagger.

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
                      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Very nice find

Comment

Gentlemen, I ask you for an opinion on the price of a dagger-the one I showed here. In this condition, guaranteed oroginality - for what could be sold in the current market ...? Thank you for your answer. ch

Comment

Solid original with no originality problems. Aluminum will do this under the right conditions, it may have been stored with the leather hanger over the eagle and, it is well known, leather will cause damage when left alone for a long time.

Comment

cooper11:

The dagger condition is great, the eagle does have issues though. I have seen nice rat tail SS's go for 2-3,000 on dealer sites.

I paid that for mine a year or so ago at a show and from a dealer.

Here are a couple of shots.

John
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by JohnZ; 02-09-2013, 12:48 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X