Voos Etched Dagger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voos Etched Dagger?

I need some help from you 'dagger' guys. A buddy of mine from work, Sgt. Art Mueller, brought by a Luftwaffe Second Model Dagger for me to look at and he related the following story:

One of his relatives (now deceased) named Rolf served in the German Army during WW II. In the 60's Rolf presented Art's dad with this dagger. Apparently Rolf made a big presentation (Art described it akin to 'the mantle being handed down') to his dad. Since that time the dagger has been locked up in a safe and Art was never allowed to touch it. Art's dad recently died and Art's mom gave Art the dagger, along with a couple of WW I pistols.

My focus is not on daggers, however, I've done a bit of research and everything but the blade appears correct: lightweight crossguard, grip wire is correct and runs from high left to lower right, blade is marked E.P.&S. with a girl in a short skirt with raised arms, one piece scabbard, etc.

The big question is the blade itself: on one side is an early drop tail LW eagle and on the other is "für langjährige treue Dienste der Generalstab". I know about the Goering presentation dagger and I looked at the fantasy dagger Gary just posted. The etching does not match the one Gary posted.

Art does not know how Rolf came into possession of the dagger, only that Rolf was in the German Army as an enlisted man. In attempting to help me with research Art did talk to another relative who remembers seeing the dagger in Rolf's possession in the 50's.

My thought is that the dagger itself is good and the blade is either a reproduction or replacement.

So now that you've heard the story, any ideas on this?
    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Without any photos, you'll only get a guess. Probably 99% of these general staff service blades are reproductions. The best advice is to try and obtain some photos.
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Dear Thomas,

CORRECTED MY REMARKS....I originally stated I had a Pack and Sohne dagger as was pictured in Witmanns book. I actually have an Alcosa (sorry for my mistake I did not check my blade until later).

What you have described is not a Voos dagger. The Voos daggers came in 1 of 2 patterns. Both had the etched blade, but one was marked with the Voos tree stump/snake maker mark. The other is called a "Voos pattern" and has an almost identical etched pattern but is void of any Voos snake/tree stump maker mark.

From your description (and as has been stated a photo would help) your friend has a E. Pack and Sohne 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger.

Although without any pictures it is hard to ascertain the originality of the blade. Hope this helps.

Gary B
      Last edited by Gary B; 09-06-2004, 07:49 PM.
      ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Here are some really bad pictures. I have the dagger, so I can try to get some better pictures if you tell me what you need.
        Attached Files
        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Attached Files
          AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Attached Files
            AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X