Basic Advice needed. ( Thanks ).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Advice needed. ( Thanks ).

I have just bought an Officers Sword (Eickhorn) from German based dealer Detlev Niemann and all being well hope to recieve it in the later part of the coming week.

Edged weapons are new to me and I would appreciate some sound basic davice in how to best care and display the item.

Herr Niemann describes it as being in II grade condition but from the jpegs shown it seems to be in very good order.

I can understand that touching the blade with finger tips is a "no no" , at this point I would rather ask for advice in advance than inflict damage by way of ignorance.

My appreciation to all .

Hi Mr "behblc",

You are right that does look like a very nice sword. If, when it arrives, you find that you absolutely hate it then I'd be only too willing to relieve you of the burden

I could run through a few care tips here but I think you will get much more info here www.germandaggers.com, if you can login that is, they've been having some trouble last few days. Checkout the "Restoration and Maintenance" forum under edged weapons - all the advice you'll ever need.

Don't forget to come back here though

Cheers,
    David.
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

First, welcome to this facet of the hobby. Daggers have been - and always be - my first area of interest. Glad to have you aboard!

Sound advide from David C, but as for the basics, just a couple of tips:
      • It is not a good idea to touch the sword, dagger or baynoet blade. The oils from your skin can, over time, cause blemishes. A lot of people go so far as to wear gloves whnd handling their bades, but I genarally just wipe them down after handling.
      • Read everything you can get your hands on - Johnson's books are great and his Vilume I is a must have. Wittmann's new books are the best thing t come along in years. A bit pricey and very detailed, but you'll never find yourself wishing you didn't own them.
      • Pay regular visits to this forum and the GDC site.
      That will get you started...be sure to keep us posted (pun fully intended!)

Skip

Comment

Thanks.

David & Skipper,
        Sorry about the "behblc" , its from my primary interest the three letter codes for letiz and Zeiss optics. ( My name is James).
        I will take time to look at the sites mentioned , from my point of view its better to ask than look after something badly.
        Certainly could see myself buying a dagger or two in the future , nothing "rare" more the average but nice items like army officers dagger / Luftwaffe dagger.
        They certainly look nice in a potentially addictive sort of way .
        Thanks again for the pointers in the right direction, much appreciated.
        (When I get it I would try and do a jpeg but my first encounter with jpeg presentation was not good ).
        Last edited by behblc; 09-07-2004, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Hi James,

You'll soon get the hang of posting images so don't be afraid to give it a go.

Careful with the daggers though, if ever "you can't have just one" was true it surely must apply to 3rd Reich daggers and Iron crosses

Have fun, but don't come crying to me when you're skint

Cheers,
          David.
          At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Skint.

Well on the way to being there
            My first are things optical and good sets ....present the same guilt trips

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X