Need help with 2nd Model Luftwaffe Voos etched Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with 2nd Model Luftwaffe Voos etched Dagger

Can someone post some nice clear photos of a Luftwaffe 2nd Model Voos etched dagger for me.

A few days ago one of my fellow sergeants from the Police Department, Sgt. Art Mueller, came by my house. We are long time friends and he is familiar with my collection. His father recently died and, along with some Mauser and Luger pistols, his mother gave him a Dagger which belonged to his dad. From talking to Sgt. Mueller I know that some of his relatives served in the German military during WW II, however, he does not have any specific information as to what units, etc.

Sgt. Mueller has asked for my assistance in identifying the dagger and what its value is. My collecting focus is not on daggers, however, this is a Luftwaffe 2nd Model Voos double etched Dagger. The blade is marked E.P.& S. On the blade opposite the Luftwaffe eagle is the inscription "fur langjahrige treue Dienste der Generalstab." (for many years faithful service - the General Staff).

Bill Shea believes that the dagger is a total reproduction due to the inscription on the reverse of the blade. I have no reason to doubt Bill and I'd like to be able to show Sgt. Mueller some photos of a genuine dagger to compare to his when I break the bad news to him.
    AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Hi Thomas,

If the dagger has the maker mark of E.P.S. it wouldn't have the same etch as Voos.I believe the style of etch would be trade marked and not found on other makers blades.Here are a couple of photos of my maker marked Voos.The unmarked etch is almost identical except for the blade isn't maker marked,and I believe,a slight difference in some details of the etch pattern.Which is why it's attributed to Voos.Try to get a couple of photos of the dagger.Otherwise it's authentisity can't be determined.
    Ray
    Attached Files

Comment

Front etch.
      Attached Files

Comment

Back etch.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ask and you shall receive. The pics aren't the best but here they are....
          Attached Files
          AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Attached Files
            AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Attached Files
              AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

If there is something specific you want/need clearer pictures of let me know. I have the dagger here, so I can attempt to get whatever detail you need. Is a dagger with this graving on the reverse even probable?
                AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Dear Thomas,

The pictures that have been posted are of a nice maker marked Voos dagger. The etching styles between it and a non MM one are almost identical.

In my other reply to you I erronously stated that I had a Pack and Sohne engraved 2nd model Luft, I actually have an engraved Alcosa, the same one pictured in Wittmanns book. Attched are pictures of this blade for your comparison.

Sorry for the confusion.

Gary B
                  ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Lower Engraving

Comment

Reverse

Comment

I managed to take a couple of better pictures of this dagger.
                        Attached Files
                        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Here is the second one......
                          Attached Files
                          AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your pictures Ray and Gary. This dagger is starting to look better and better, but I'm not quite convinced it is period. Especially since the reverse engraving has appeared in post war reproductions and originals are very rare.

Now that you've seen some better photographs what are your thoughts? If this dagger were offered to you, would you put it in your collection?
                            AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

Comment

PD, just because this is virtually the identical etch used in reproductions, before I put it in my collection, I'd have to have someone a lot more knowledgable than myself give it a hands on, thumbs up inspection. Because of the pedigree with this piece, you have a better than average chance of it being original.
                              Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X