Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E.P. & S. HJ Knife

Hello,

I'm new to this forum (WOW what a bank of information), and I have a question about the rarity of, (I hate that word, sellers overuse it!) or rather how common an HJ knife by E. Pack & Sohn is. I have had it since my youth, and have not seen another by this maker. It is early style w/motto, almost no finish left on the scabbard, leather is intact but "fragile", and the blade has sharpening marks, otherwise in great shape. It was definitely used, but this I like, mint is great, but history is why I'm into this hobby. Value is not big concern with this one, as it is one of my first pieces ever, and it's going nowhere!

I will frequent this forum and learn, and get some of the best advice anywhere on my tiny but growing collection. I understand a "free" account does not allow picture upload? I would like to post a pic of my complete (again, tiny) collection in the "collections" section.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Welcome aboard.

I believe that a HJ by E. Pack & Sohn is quite a rare bird and that the scabbards were unpainted from the factory.

You are correct that the ability to upload pictures is a benefit of the $25 members fee. If you think you are going to hang around here Jeff then spring for the 25 bucks, you won't regret it.

Cheers,
    David.
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Will do, $25 is well worth it.

After closer inspection, it appears you are right, there is absolutely no paint on the scabbard.

Thanks for the info. Anyone venture an approximate value?

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, without photos, value would be just a ball park guess. Maybe $300 plus or minus 50%.
        Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

OK, here it is in pictures: (Got the membership, already paid for itself!)

Note: the scabbard looks black in the picture, but it is a patina brown, no finish whatsoever.

Leather is nearly raw, little black left, supple, but there is a cut 2/3 of the way through the belt loop on the back side. Blade is sharpened, and still sharp! (I've had this piece since 1982, and never touched it that way )

There is no lining left in the scabbard. the scabbard is rusted (or worn) through at the point wherethe bend in the shape of the scabbard occurs on both sides (oddly enough. Knife on scabbard wear?) see pic #3.

Last edited by ditch68; 09-03-2004, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Here is the maker mark:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X