Deutsch Reich Post 84/98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutsch Reich Post 84/98

Reichspost marked 84/98 III. It is marked Paul Weyersburg Solingen, serial number 4103 R.P., has 103 stamped on the release bar when pushed out. The only WaA's are on the grips and are 883 and correct for Weyersburg 1940-41. It shows no rust, pitting or damage, in really good condition except for one thing, there is no bluing on it anywhere. I've noticed this on a few other R.P. marked bayo's that I found online. It is appears like someone polished out the bayo to give it more of a "dress" look. The scabbard is unmarked, in great condition with what I would estimate to be 90-95% bluing. Also, the frog is marked D.R.P Rgsb, I think this would be for Regensburg Bavaria, correct? The thing that has me puzzled, other than the missing bluing, is the frog. It appears to be a dress style frog, but in a combat size. The scabbard fits it just like it would a combat frog. I look forward to your comments and insights!

Many Thanks,
    Jim

image hosting

anybody?

Comment

Hi
      beautiful bayonet, I too have one and it is very Bluing
      The scabbard is unmarked.

Comment

Hello,

nice ones. It is normal that the scabbard has no number or maker mark.

The frogs in the origin are for the Postschutz KS98 bayonet... a "walking out" stile Bayonet with DRP Stamp.

The Postschutz S84/98 were normaly carried in a Seitengewehrtasche 98 with DR Stamp.

Comment

I personally dont like the grips on the first one same as on second one, is not confirmed that they used WaA proofed grips. What for stamping is on second one grips? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SG8498.13 View Post
            Hi
            beautiful bayonet, I too have one and it is very Bluing
            The scabbard is unmarked.
            I like your bayo,did the frog come with it?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
              I personally dont like the grips on the first one same as on second one, is not confirmed that they used WaA proofed grips. What for stamping is on second one grips? thanks.
              Hello Andy,
              I felt like the grip material would be right for the time frame, nice early dark, bakelite? Seeing as how Weyersberg were making combat bayo's at the same time, isn't it plausible that they used the same for both?

As always, I look forward to and very much respect your opinion.
              Jim

Comment

On the first one probably yes, but i dont believe it should be with WaA grips? but this could be real, the second one i believe should be with red plastic grips, i personally dont like these grips, could You looks under?

Comment

WaA stamps are not possible on an Postschutz commercial.

Comment

I have been doing a little research on R.P. marked bayo's and every single one I've been able to find a picture of has the dark brown bakelite grips, from the early to the highest known numbered,14727, that Carl Z owns. I just found it curious that even the late R.P. marked 84/98's were getting dark grips at a time when Weyersburg was putting the red/orange grips on their combat bayo's?

Jim

Comment

There are minimum 4 bayonets in higher range reported with red/brown grips, same as the highest piece, Do You have looked for markings on Your brown grips on the higher number, it would be interesting to see what is there, anyway the is much more the one color used on the grips. As mentioned by Sleepwalker, it should be not WaA but some exception could be made. What is for marking on tang the early piece, any assembly numbers for locking nut?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                        There are minimum 4 bayonets in higher range reported with red/brown grips, same as the highest piece, Do You have looked for markings on Your brown grips on the higher number, it would be interesting to see what is there, anyway the is much more the one color used on the grips. As mentioned by Sleepwalker, it should be not WaA but some exception could be made. What is for marking on tang the early piece, any assembly numbers for locking nut?
                        Thanks for the additional info. The higher numbered R.P. is not mine, but one posted by another forum member. I have not taken the lug apart, but the lock bar is marked 103 on its' side, when pushed out you can see it.

here are the markings on the handle,

Jim

img upload

Comment

HY

Here pictures of the interior.

Comment

Thanks for additional info, the last or second last picture i personally dont like the right grip, looks like a postwar one the 1A is well known maker, but the Proof stamp of Berlin Dahlem looks strange, same as the 5 number, maybe a replacement, or maybe under normal light would be the color other. The both stamps should be compared. This producer is known on post 1941 production,which would be correct.
                            The early one has same tang markings so it was not made many time earlier as the second, so i assume the WaA883 grips are here not origin.

Comment

I have always gotten the feeling that most people felt that Reich Post bayo's were made spread out over many years, but if these two are around 6,000 apart yet appear to be made in the same period, during what time frame would they have been made?

Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X