Dagger under glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dagger under glass?

Is it safe to use a Riker-style case for daggers where the dagger is pressed up against the glass?

If your dagger has an ivory grip, do not put any colored cloth behind it before you put it into the mount - the color will eventually, permanently migrate into the grip. And, contrary to what some collectors think about ivory, the top side of the grip will lighten in color and the underside darken over time - particularly if you've got a lot of light in the room where you keep the mount.

Jim

Comment

I store a number of my daggers out of their scabbards in the "Riker-style" cases in my safes. They are seldom exposed to light - I'm ashamed to admit it, but some haven't been out of the safes for over a year. I never thought about the color from the cloth backing leaching into an ivory grip but, thankfully, I have my ivory-gripped pieces in some display cases I made for them with glass on either side and nothing in direct contact with the grips.

Long story short - taking Jim's concerns into account, the "Riker-style" cases are a commonly used and reasonably safe way to store your daggers.

Best,
      Skip

Comment

Thanks Skip

Comment

Heres my dagger under Glass. The case in 1.5 inches thick. I put a piece of 1/4" inch cardboard behind the foam. Bought some satin at Walmart for $2/yard, wrapped it around the foam using Scotch tape just to hold it in place and put it in the case then placed the dagger in. It is pressed against the glass as the only thing holding it in place. It took a little pressure to close the case and insert the pins.
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X