Variant Luftwaffe Sword with Laurel Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Luft Sword

This is a very interesting piece - and I too feel confident that the workmanship is period, but exactly what it is I am uncertain.

Like Fred Prinz, I am curious about the absence of any maker's mark - but there could be a perfectly legitimate explanation for this; the sword being presented (shown) as an example of what the Germans call Ciselierter - this is a form of engraving or highlighting that produces a type of three-dimensional decoration. It is more usually seen on basket-type hilt swords, where 3-D figurines or decoration is intricately cut out of the metal.

My best guess would be (and it is a guess) is that this Luftwaffe sword has been produced as a demonstration or show piece of the Ciselierter workmanship - and not actually any type of de-luxe or presentation sword available ex-stock.

It is a cracking piece of hand workmanship - I just love it.

FJS

PS Mention has been made of another example with oak leaf decoration shown on another site - would you please provide a link to that other example. Thank you.

Comment

As said and taking into consideration the absence of a trade mark, could it be the entrance to a metal union craft worker's exhibition? Or even a contribution by a student of the metal craft workers?

RThibaut,
      Please post the site where you observed a similar sword but having oak leaf decoration.

Comment

Because the manufacture of just the bare sword and scabbard involve considerable tooling and resources. It could also be an in-house "proof of concept", or demonstration piece submitted for "management's" approval. With the parts coming from a reject, or to be reworked, parts bin?? No proof - just something that I've seen happen in the past. FP

Comment

Photos

Images to make it a little easier:

Comment

Originally posted by F. J. Stephens View Post

FJS

PS Mention has been made of another example with oak leaf decoration shown on another site - would you please provide a link to that other example. Thank you.
            For Jackie:

http://www.militarycollectiblesinc.c...oducts_id=6763

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
              I have never seen anything like them and now I see two of them.Feast or famine

Comment

Maybe early prototypes until they sorted out a standard uniform design, considering the amount of suspicion and debate I hardly see anyone faking such an item, so I would have a punt on these two as definitely being period pieces, maybe small private makers who offered their designs and ultimately had them rejected.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X