Price help needed fireman bayo and belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price help needed fireman bayo and belt

I have a guy wanting to sell me this bayonet and belt/buckle/strap grouping and I am not up on bayonet or belt stuff values. We don't have many shows here in Idaho, so I need a fair and realistic price range to offer him. I am figuring in the area of $250-$275. Any help or sugesstions would be much appreciated. The blade is unmarked, none of the leather items have any markings on them at all and the buckle is unmarked. Blade is clean and unsharpened. Thanks in advance.
    Dave
    Attached Files

more pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Last picture
      Attached Files

Comment

Dave,

Unmarked firemans' bayonets are pretty common & not too sought after by collectors. That said, this is a nice full rig that's clean & also comes with a very nice looking Polizei belt, buckle & strap. I would pay $250 for this set all day.

The knot is very interesting & if you do get the rig, I'd ask that you post a few pictures of it. The bulb looks like that of a typical Feuerwehr knot but the strap appears to be from a Polizei knot. I've never seen this combination on the same knot before. I suppose it's possible someone matched up a loose strap with a loose bulb before but perhaps not. Would like to see if there's any evidence of glue on the exterior.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Billy. Here are some close-ups of the knot. So in realality, what is all this worth? Is $250 too low?
          Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

next
            Attached Files

Comment

last
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey Dave,

That knot is a real riddle. Without holding it in hand, I'd say someone made a Frankenstein knot from a Polizei strap & a Feuerwehr bulb. Never seen this combination before but we're learning new things everyday so anything's possible.

The rig is a nice original looking setup. There are guys that collect bayonets, guys that collect belts/buckles & there are general collectors, most guys would like this either for a mannequin or just to have. If the knot is original, it might be an unusual variant knot bumping the price up. If not it's a Frankenstein piece & diminishes the value somewhat.

I wouldn't say $250 is "too low", on the low side maybe. $300 wouldn't be unreasonable either.

Comment

It looks really well constructed to me. What is the knot that is supposed to go with the firemans bayo supposed to look like? Can you post a picture for me to see and perhaps I can spot what is different? Thanks for your help.
                  Dave

Comment

Dave,

Here's a shot of some Feuerwehr knots, notice the bulbs are the same as yours but the strap is different. A standard Feuerwehr bayonet knot has a black leather strap with 3 rows of aluninum thread. This was way back when I only had 4 or 5 of these
                    Attached Files

Comment

I see what you mean. Wow, it is different. In looking at this one, it is tight, and really looks factory type put together. Is it possible for someone to put this type of thing together after the war? I would think it would look like a cobbled up affair,
                      Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X