anyone w info on Gunther as a maker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone w info on Gunther as a maker?

I'm not equipped for a good close up but is marked w a small Gunther only, about 1/3 the way from the cross guard. Likely this is pre- 1900 manufactured.

any solingen bowie knives out there that need a good home?
    Attached Files

There is a distributor, called William Gunther, Dresden, whose maker mark in Fisher looks like the one on this knive.

There is no other information on him.

John

Comment

ROZ, That is a good looking knife! (or should I say "Forstmesser" or "Standhauer") do you have a scabbard for it? Be interesting to look in old catalogs like WKC and see if they made it. I have an old Eickhorn catalog but I dont believe this is one of there's...Kevin.

Comment

A very similar knife is pictured on page 13 of Anthony Carter's Vol 1 Sword and Knife Makers, (wish there was a vol 2), Reproduced from 1920 F W Backhaus catalog, The text Refers to sales add including Kamp-Arkansas lnives circa 1925,
        very similar patterns were also made in sheffield by Jos. rodgers around 1900 and Wostenholm decades earlier. I dated this one considering the the placement and smallness of the mark as being early...........but I bet I am wrong.

The scabbard is pretty typical of 1920's I'd say, though it is repaired.
        Attached Files

Comment

thanks both.........................I'd go for it being distributor stamped, maybe post manufacture?,

Was hoping it were a maker mark.

Comment

Rare beauty ROZ, good luck finding out more! Kevin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X