EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcoso army dagger with a beautiful grip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcoso army dagger with a beautiful grip!

Hi All,

Just thought I would share this early Alcoso army dagger I just picked up. It has one of the most beautiful grips I have ever seen. It has little spots in it like birds eye maple. It also has all of the original lacquer still on the scabbard.

Enjoy!

Bill Rannow
    Mpls, MN
    Attached Files

A couple more in different lighting.

Bill Rannow
    Mpls, MN
    Attached Files

Comment

Bill that’s a nice dagger Looks like a textbook Alcoso with the type-3 guard. I really like these spotted grips you usually see them on WKC army daggers. They are quite unique and obviously a product of aging.

Comment

Nice Heer dagger, these grips with spotting ad interest to the piece. I used to have a earlier Alcoso with the same guard but hand worked earlier pommel with spotting like this. That Alcoso had the magnetic hilt fittings(Eisenkopf). This is a mid period example with the last style pommel used by Alcoso...Kevin.

Comment

I believe this has been referred to as an "Orange Juice" grip in the past. I don't know if this ever universally caught on.
          Jim

Comment

Clean looking dagger .

Comment

Originally posted by james m View Post
              I believe this has been referred to as an "Orange Juice" grip in the past. I don't know if this ever universally caught on.
              Jim
              Jim the Frozen Orange juice is the glass grip.

Comment

WW2:
                I thought this was that grip. I do remember the glass examples as well. Whatever it is Bills got a real beauty there.
                Jim

Comment

This grip has been removed and re-assembled 180 degrees, as the most exposed side to the sun would be the orangest. The celluoid handle reacts to sunlight , and the infrared rays reacted with the impurities or ingredients in the celluloid handle suspended when in liquid form . These raw materials ,may have either not been mixed well enough, or maybe even the ambient temperature before subjecting it to the mold possibly left those anomalies unable to properly evenly distribute before entering the molds. I do admit ,...It IS a rather attractive polka dot handled version just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                    This grip has been removed and re-assembled 180 degrees, as the most exposed side to the sun would be the orangest. The celluoid handle reacts to sunlight , and the infrared rays reacted with the impurities or ingredients in the celluloid handle suspended when in liquid form . These raw materials ,may have either not been mixed well enough, or maybe even the ambient temperature before subjecting it to the mold possibly left those anomalies unable to properly evenly distribute before entering the molds. I do admit ,...It IS a rather attractive polka dot handled version just the same.
                    I'm sorry to have to say that it's sort of the right idea, but the wrong plastic and reasons for the color changes also needing some adjustment. Short short version: cast phenolic resin, ultraviolet light, and the adverse long term chemical interactions of the materials used. Nice dagger! FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X