Opinions Fire Official Dagger ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Fire Official Dagger ???

I posted this dagger on another forum I belong to and no one could nail it down exactly like the time period and organization. I'll post some pictures. It is double maker marked E.&F. Horster. Some others and I believe that it is for a higher ranking fire official with the real black horn handles,gold fittings,plated scabbard etc. The gold plated clam-shell with what looks like flames is on the scabbard instead of the dagger. Has any one seen one before? Thanks
    Attached Files

#2 pics
    Attached Files

Comment

#3 pics
      Attached Files

Comment

#4 pics
        Attached Files

Comment

#5 pics
          Attached Files

Comment

Good to see you here Dail,

A very interesting piece, here's some thoughts. The dagger is unlike anything I've seen before considering the unusual clamshell & overall look of the piece.

It seems to combine elements of a fire official's seitengewehr with that of a forestry/hunting hirschfanger. Unusual to be sure & possibly a specially made piece, perhaps for a commandant or high ranking official since the scabbard is silver.

The clamshell with flames seems obvious to me that the dagger has a Feuerwehr connection, this is only strengthened by the recurved crossguard & maybe the sawback blade. The black grip & grip shape

The Horster mark would be Weimar era or possibly early 3R IMHO. I have a variety of police & fire bayonets from both these eras with these Horster marks. I believe the piece could have been worn into the 3R, prior to the order to consolidate local Feuerwehr units with one type of sidearm.

The knot looks to be a Weimar era sword know. With its black & red colors, it would seem to be emblematic of the state of Wurttemberg. I know George Wheeler disagrees with me on this but I have no other explanation for the color scheme.

I thought maybe it was a Horster item for export. Had a friend check Imperial & Weimar era Horster catalogues but no luck. I hope someone else can shed some light on this wonderful piece. Thanks for showing it.

Comment

Hi Billy. This is a great forum. I thought I would try here to maybe nail down this dagger. Thanks for the great comments.

Comment

Dail,

Always happy to help. Daggers such as yours have a bit of mystery to them & things like this is what keep this mutual hobby of ours interesting to me. I'm afraid though that without a period reference, catalogue or picture of one in wear that all opinions on it will be supposition but there are some great blade minds here & you'll get a good idea of what it likely is. I'm still hoping we get a catalogue entry to solve the mystery.

Comment

I agree Billy but one can hope. I love the hunt for items and the research after the find. Thanks Dail

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X