Weimar pioneer bayo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weimar pioneer bayo?

This imperial bayo seems to have bakelite grips and the maker is scarce - move-werke, walter & co., muhlhausen in thuringen.

Can someone please i.d. It's use? In one area it seems under what appears t/b period paint is nickel (?). But most of the hilt looks t/b plain steel. The blade is polished steel. Grips arent the elongate 'diamonds' seen on wwi dress types.

And also the 'snoutless' bird head pommel seems a bit unusual on this type bayo given the long guard.

So, some transitional i'm guessing.... Help appreciated. Thanks fellas.
    Attached Files

Last
    Attached Files

Comment

This type pommel is used by this company on their bayonets. Also, black hilt painted WWI style is sold to officers as a extra seitengewehr and most have a grip cypher.

Comment

Many thanks ron - hoped you'd chime in. I see no sign of the imperial of other cypher having been there.
        And, in wwi i believe nickel was used much less for blades than in the weimar and iiid reich and that factory polishing steel blade blanks was the norm early on correct?
        Dw

Comment

I have had a couple of odd bayonets from this company, very high quality and, since these were private purchase pieces, a little better finish and workmanship IMO. As they were not TR, I sold them.

Comment

Thanks again for your expertise. I dont associate this maker with the hitler years; i guess by then they'd gone belly up. Possibly a minor producer from the get-go?

Comment

I have a PSS with Walter & Co, Mulhausen which I always presumed was a distributor because the other ricasso was maker marked by Gebruden Hartkopf.
              Attached Files

Comment

nice pss billy, to state the least. maybe on my bayo the 'move-werke (maker) was combined with distributor name. dunno but anyhow this mark must be on the scarce-to-rare side doncha' reckon...

btw - also posted on g'daggs.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X