Good'un, guys?
    Attached Files

More
    Attached Files

Comment

Last
      Attached Files

Comment

What a fair collector-to-collector price range?

By the way the 'pumpkin' orange color goes all the way thru the grip. Were al trolons all really white to begin with?

Comment

Hey, this one is shown in the books by Wittmannn and Johnson and obviously original. Considering its mint condition, it should bring anywhere from 3 to 4 grand.
          Trolon was supposed to be originally white and intended to be a replacement for ivory. But they turned yellow early on.

Comment

wow- that's good to know, thanks cog'! all its missing is the swaz gilt. good weekend all.

Comment

If the grip is orange throughout it may be one of those glass types.
              I never bought into the 'white grip theory', I'm sure the lemon yellow ones were always that colour.

Lovely dagger BTW, I would think $4-5k

Comment

cheers nolan. david

Comment

Nolan: I tend to agree with you on the price. It has been a while since I had been in the market and I'm still amazed how prices have shot up in the last few years.

David: I guess I can't use the no maker rationale on this one so I'll go out of my way and offer you 50 bucks for it, cash on the barrel head. All you need to do is pay for the shipping. How's that for a solid proposal? But I give John Z the opportunity to double my offer again.

Comment

Thanks cog - i'm forced to pass.... Also the grip doesnt look glassy or amber-ish up close tho maybe it is

Comment

I have a 2nd luft with an all the way through orange grip, when Craig was conducting his 'white grip theory' I sent it to him and allowed him to shave a litle material off from under the ferrule, he reported back that it was a 'glass type' although it looks completely different from the 'frozen orange juice' glass grip on one of my Heers, its glossy but not transluscent, like polished plastic, I believe we do not yet know everything about the materials during the period and probably never will. I believe in enjoying things for what they are so long as they are obviously period.

Comment

thanks heaps nolan - well spoke.

Comment

Nolan: I agree. I have a coffee can full of broken trolon grips for army, 2nd LW and Teno daggers. Some are white inside, others are yellow all the way through. I believe that trolon was intended as a replacement for ivory but in the manufacturing process of the polymer (phenolic) and the subsequent grip production the material yellowed. The end result was obviouly appealing to the eye. Anyone specializing in polymer chemistry might be aware of the factors involved in the color stabilization of the final product at that time, but whatever these factors - they are irrelevant today.

Comment

Great dagger and a textbook artificial Damascus.

The prices quoted above are very reasonable for such a rare item.. and I will, if I have to, doulbe cog's price.

John

Comment

Welcome back John, I was hoping you could weigh in on this one.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X