divers knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

divers knife

HELLO FORUM HERES MY GERMAN DIVERS KNIFE THAT WAS BOUGHT AT A BOAT JUMBLE IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND IN GOSPORT CHEERS FOR LOOKING

hope, you didn´t pay too much ! ...

Comment

Its similar to a german, but not sure its german, can you post crisp clear shots of the makers marks. Is there any rectangular hook on the side not shown of the scabbard? Crown so far , doesn't look german...possibly hungarian?? oR??
      Maybe WW1...not sure, but i have a ww2 one taken by a man in the 99th div, when he came in on d day...found in the crotch of a pilon made of steel barricades set up on the way in. It would be interesting to know which submarine worked on the boobie traps there, as the diver forgot it till my neighbor found it on the way in. Similar design, but Is this one here original is the question, or is it just foreign , possibly a german ally item. Is there any makers mark on the blade ? I see the hook now, sorry....maybe more shots of the end also.

Comment

Saw such knives, showin´ the makers mark of WKC ...

Have a look at the stamps, and you´ll understand, what I mean ...

Comment

I've seen similar diver's knives myself, reported to have come from the (WW I) Austro-Hungarian Navy base at Pola (now in Croatia). Having a WKC/Knight on one side, with what I am assuming was the dealer in Kiel (Germany) on the other. FP

Comment

Hello the makers mark is wkc with the knights head will put pictures up tomorrow

Comment

the other marks on the other side are AUG LUNEBURG KEIL

Comment

These are WW1 manufactured. My guess these were never issued as all of the blades were never sharped and the tips are blunt, thus useless as a utility knife as it was intended. Also the blades are made of carbon steel, all examples I have seen are rusty. I suspect these were put-to-gether for a souvenir but can't prove that.

Comment

I’ve done free diving (SCUBA) and can’t speak to hard hat diving, but I think that we have to look at it from that perspective. They were not meant as ready to use self defense weapons (you had to unscrew the knife to get it out of the scabbard) - but more as utility tools attached to the suit. With some of them really looking (and used) quite a bit like small HD pry bars. With something else to keep in mind being that you don’t want to cause your own demise if you accidentally puncture your suit.

As for the carbon steel blades many were designed to be replaceable because they knew upfront that they were not going to last very long in saltwater. With stainless steel (technically) invented prior to WW I, but still in the experimental stage. FP

Comment

Originally posted by bullie View Post
                    HELLO FORUM HERES MY GERMAN DIVERS KNIFE THAT WAS BOUGHT AT A BOAT JUMBLE IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND IN GOSPORT CHEERS FOR LOOKING

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X