No mm army - stainless??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No mm army - stainless??

Guys this is a very-clean no mm heer - generic scabb and guard. Late blade w/o forge mark and (to me) an odd-shaped, ferrule-side grip hole.

The cross-crain is very fine and subtle.

Also, it seems t/b made of stainless steel or virtually unspotted nickel. Was 'rostfrei' used in army daggers?

Red flags here?

Thanks for the once-over.

(oh, the guard seems to have a sort of italic numeral '5' cast into it inside and maybe something else but it's pretty dirty in there.)

thanks!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Last
            Attached Files

Comment

2 other things: It surprised me, but using wenol the cloth turned black like nickel (or silver) does - it would not have if stainless i think.

Also, fwiw, ferrule magnetic and of course the blade; pommel and guard not.
              Thanks again for all insights about what seems to me to be either a late one or a repro....

Comment

Original, late one with plaster filled grip. Imo

Comment

Original late war Heer.

Frank

Comment

thanks a mint!

Comment

Original with the Nickel finish seen later in the period. This type finish does not tarnish black.

Comment

I guess it was just accumulated surface dirt and handling crud that came off. Thanks very much, 'collector. This was made not long before they went to the zinc
                        'unfinished' type, right?

Comment

I would agree certainly the unplated type was chronologically at the end of army dagger production.

Originally posted by inimicus View Post
                          I guess it was just accumulated surface dirt and handling crud that came off. Thanks very much, 'collector. This was made not long before they went to the zinc
                          'unfinished' type, right?

Comment

Sorry ww2 'unplated'? Does this mean the fittings andf scabbard are a lesser-quality solid nickel?

I'd have thought it would be a thin 'flash'' coating over zinc or other white metal.

Also, is this the same time frame or a little earlier than the dark gray zinc (?) daggs with 'gun metal' finish? Thanks again!

Comment

Well as far as I can remember you had the quality silver plating then the nickel plating and very late examples with an un-plated finish that looks gray due to the pot metal base material of the fittings.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X