No mm police clamshell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No mm police clamshell

Thoughts on this weimar sidearm please? No maker or other marks, including on the frog.

Thanks loads and good weekend. And remember it's ... Flea market time!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

David,

Very nice Weimar clamshell, these are always nice to find & I have a particular love for them. The bayonet looks very good all around to me, they're occasionally found with unmarked blades so no worries there. You do find some choice pieces my friend.

From the pics, there's something about the knot strap I don't like, the threads & fabric mostly. Not sure but I think the strap may be a reproduction but the bulb looks like it has age.

Comment

No idea's on the maker but this sure is one great looking bayo with exceptional detail to the hilt, look at how nice the leaves are on the guard, just great! Kevin.

Comment

Thank'ee gents! Billy here's a better view of the knot - which actually has that coppery 'weave' tho it looks like alu here 'coz of the light i guess... Yeh for sure someone worked pretty hard on that hilt. Nice guard stippling, eh ;--)
                Attached Files

Comment

David,

I guess my concern is that the strap is cloth. I don't think I've seen Polizei knots with cloth straps with the exception of those made in the 3R. I agree, great looking bayonet, especially those toned stag grips.

Comment

ok billy - thanks means a lot!

Comment

my favorite German bayonet model by far.

nice find

Robert

Comment

I am trying to get a sense of proportion of your blade Inimicus. Is it a shorter private purchase bayonet worn off duty like the one in this comparison? It seems to be one judging from the distance of the bottom scabbard fitting to the grip.

If so, I would say it was worn by an officer who purchased a smaller knot for his bayonet that still satisfies Prussian design regulations. The copper threads would have been silver plated for officers.

Comment

joe - thanks for the input; much appreciated.

it's the smaller, with 9 14/16 inch blade. love the way these pol bayos slide in/out of the scabbard, smooth, secure yet with nary a whisper.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy G View Post
                            David,

I guess my concern is that the strap is cloth. I don't think I've seen Polizei knots with cloth straps with the exception of those made in the 3R. I agree, great looking bayonet, especially those toned stag grips.
                            Could be a Heer knot if it's silver or black on the bottom of the ball(?).

Comment

hi tim -

how/ bout black *AND* silver?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X