SA Dagger info needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Dagger info needed.

Daggers aren't really my area, but I think I ought to start learning!! I have been offered this SA dagger, not sure whether to bother with it or not, sorry about the pictures they were taken on a dull day in the rain in a field . The dagger looks to me as if it has had a hard life, it has wf on the crossguard, I guess for Westfalen. I haven't seen this maker before, so is it common, unusual, fake, original, what is it worth any info would be appreciated.....
    Attached Files

Ding on handle
    Attached Files

Comment

Blade condition
      Attached Files

Comment

While the photos are lacking and I can't find the maker in any of my reference books, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's an original dagger. As you say, its had a fairly hard life, but if the price is right it looks like a nice starter piece. If you want to learn daggers, you've got to start somewhere.
        Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

here is a link to that maker mark

http://www.germandaggers.com/referenceguide.htm

Comment

Bob, if you didn't buy that SA, please let me know where it is.

Mark
            Originally posted by anythingww2
            here is a link to that maker mark

http://www.germandaggers.com/referenceguide.htm

Comment

The maker is considered rare 1/1000 according to my reference material. Given the pictures, I would estimate it's value to be $500.00 to $750.00 depending upon better pictures and overall condition.

Mark

Comment

Fisher's reference book rates this maker as rare.I would concur with mpaul's price range.The grip probably could be repaired,and seeing that it's a rare maker,it might be worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Yankowski
                  Fisher's reference book rates this maker as rare.I would concur with mpaul's price range.The grip probably could be repaired,and seeing that it's a rare maker,it might be worth it!
                  Yes it had a hard life, but it's rare. If the price is good ( or not, but you can pay ). don't loose that beauty.
                  Otto

PS: If have some red paint, it's from my friend

Comment

Looking at the grip again,the center ridge seems very sharp,more so than most.Perhaps it's the pix itself,but I can't say I've ever seen a wood grip quite like it.I'd like to see pix of the reverse,and from the sides,if possible.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and PM's chaps. I haven't bought the dagger yet, as I wanted to get opinions. Basically the guy wants £220 (approx $395) he won't come down any more, so initially I thought that was to expensive for it, but if it is a rare maker then I guess that is a different ball game!

Comment

HI Mpaul

I just got home from a 3 day trip. What dagger Are you talking about? That site is just a listing of maker marks.
                        Bob

Comment

Personally I don't wet my knickers over "RARE" maker mark SA's but I think I would pay £220 for a pre-RZM in this condition.

Cheers,
                          David.
                          At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

The Hugo Servatius. It's a steal at that price, trust me.

Mark
                            (kingtiger)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X