Question about a LW 1 model on estand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a LW 1 model on estand

Can you please help me? I have bought this Luftwaffe dagger here on WAF estand. When I hold it in my hand it raises a question or two in my head!

What do you think about it? Is it crap or good? It was not cheap!

/Olof

Attached Files

I don't like the blade quality and the center scabbard band is way off. I know some late period lufts lack quality but ..............

Comment

blade apears to have crossgraining ..shoulded it be plated..?.

Comment

The blade 'field' (Flat) is a different shape on each side.

-wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by mrec27777 View Post
          blade apears to have crossgraining ..shoulded it be plated..?.
          Not all are plated, many were like the late 98 dress bayos. As Wags mentioned the blade is suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sunday View Post
            Not all are plated, many were like the late 98 dress bayos. As Wags mentioned the blade is suspect.
            thanks for the info ..if the blade was o.k.,would this not be a desireable specimen?....

Comment

And wrong portepee to boot!

Regards,
              Frank

Comment

I get the feeling that this piece has genuine parts that were assembled postwar.......thus the rather crude blade and improperly mounted center chain fitting IMO.

Comment

The center scabbard band appears to have been off at one time and put on reversed (wider end to the bottom instead of wider end to the top) which makes it too far down the scabbard. This means that the tip also was removed at some point and maybe the chain was reattached??

Comment

I became suspicious first when I withdraw the dagger from its scabbard and found a strange sound like steel against steel. Then I noticed the scabbard caused scratching to the blade! I asked a fellow collector and he told me:

‘The first pattern luft is not right. The blade has the wrong profile, the scabbard fittings look like reproduction with the centre fitting being too far down the scabbard. The whole thing is a piece of junk in my opinion.’

This is my first 1st Pat LW and I dared to buy it because it was on our Edged Weapons Table.

It was posted with the headline:
                    Mint Unmarked 1st Model Luft

And described as:
                    This is as nice as i have seen. Please feel free to ask questions and make offers.

The seller is also an Association Member and he had at the time of trade 1091 posts on this forum, so I trusted him.
                    Does the jury agree upon: It is a junk?

Comment

Return the dagger asap for a refund!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
                        The center scabbard band appears to have been off at one time and put on reversed (wider end to the bottom instead of wider end to the top) which makes it too far down the scabbard. This means that the tip also was removed at some point and maybe the chain was reattached??
                        good theory ,ron ...or could the sheath leather have been replaced ,and upon reattaching the center band ,the pundit realized the new leather was somewhat thicker ,and so the band found a new ,and lower location ....

Comment

In my case Mint means suspicios after going through war and 70 yrs,,,,,,

Comment

IMO this is a good dagger with a releathered sheath, I do see some differences in the sides of the blade though and I am not sure what to make of that. If I was in the market for a first model Luft I would be pleased to own this one.
                            Eric

Comment

Not a good dagger IMO - the dagger has been "fooled around with", and you only have to look at a Luftwaffe acceptance marked example to see that the blade shape/profile (cross section) is all wrong. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X