X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

abused ss degens x 2

Gentleman I came into posession of these two ss swords somewhat
    beaten and rusted. I am not a edged weapon collector. Should I attempt to
    gently clean some of the rust and do they have any collector value?
    Thanks very much for your advice.
    Bob
    Attached Files

Go and get some Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust remover and apply it per instructions. Then get some soft grade Scotchbrite to remove the rust. These blades have a a satin sheen to begin with so don't worry about the finish. This will get off the rust. If there are any pits further action may be required but it is hard for me to give any further advise since the pictures are not that revealing.

Comment

Guess it's just my eyes. I can't see anything not to love! And do they have collector value? Oh brother!

Love the initials on the pommel of that 2nd sword!

Comment

Do you have the scabbards?
        Jim

Comment

I agree, whether there are scabbards will affect the asking price considerably.

Comment

The hilts look really nice..Scabbards will greatly affect value!

Comment

re: ss degens

Much to my distress there were no scabbards.
              Thank you all for your very kind responses.
              Bob

Comment

Cleaning is something if contemplated should be done by those who have experience with these artifacts.
                I would leave it alone.
                IMO, gone are the days that a shiny cleaned blade will bring more than a untouched original. But that also depends on who cleans it.

-wagner-

Comment

Don't clean them at all !
                  There looks nothing wrong with the photos you've given - maybe try and provide close ups of the areas you think need cleaning.
                  Steve

Comment

Measure the blades from the bottom of the hilt to the tip and put out a "Scabbard(S) Wanted" ad with the measurment. Someone might be able to help you out here.
                    Jim

Comment

Upper right pic : the left one looks as a ultra rare Degen without screwed step.The "step" is part from the hilt! Can you confirm this ?
                      We need better pics .

Comment

Thank you all very much for your help. Being somewhat ignorant I am not familiar
                        with the characteristics of the degen suggested by tobau. Thanks again.
                        Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X