Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayonet 84/98 III: Need bayonet experts

Gents,

I bought this bayonet a couple of days ago. Unfortunately there is no makers-mark or serial number on the top of the scabbard.

The bayonet seems to be in a great condition, it seems to be sharpened, but the blade is not really thin/sharp. Field made?

more pictures

Comment

The scabbard could be of earlier date, is there normal screw on side of mouth? the bayonet would be nice Mundlos piece unfortunally damaged by the sharpening postwar.

Comment

Scabbard is a Horster made piece IMO. They were the only company to use the number under the frog stud that I have seen

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
          Scabbard is a Horster made piece IMO. They were the only company to use the number under the frog stud that I have seen
          Is that on the dress bayonet side of the equation? Because it's not on a same date "l" block Mundlos I looked at. Also not being numbered like that on "G" (1935) or 1937 dated (or early commercial) 84/98's by Hörster. Which instead have a noticible swirling type of machined finish that the Mundlos did not. In fact I'm not even sure just what it might be as the scabbard body looks to be just a little bit too long (at least in the picture). And there should be a fairly well defined set of parallel lines at the bottom of the frog stud to match those at the top. Regards, Fred
          Last edited by Frogprince; 02-11-2012, 03:08 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Scabbard could be a sub contract for Hörster or Coppel. But these usually have no cross lines on the frog stud I believe?

Regards
            Eric

Comment

No, this scabbard is not for an M98 Field Bayonet. Looks like a scabbard from the 1920s to 1930s, not 1936 as the bayonet is dated. A mis-match IMO. Also, the shape towards the end is different from a M98 Field Bayonet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X