• Show
Clear All

Short fireman

Does the motto;
    Sigfried WAFFEN
    E.Pack
    &SOHNE
    SOLINGEN
    With a dancing figure do anything for this bayonet?
    I cant show pics but its a real nice item.
    Early maker motto?
    Thanks for any info.
    Jerry

Pack bayonets are generally well made & desirable for collectors. That said, there's only a small premium, if any, for such a relatively common item IMHO. Condition is key usually.

Comment

Thanks Billy I thought so.
      Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

I realize I neglected to answer your question about time of the maker mark. I'm not sure when the Siegfried logo was used but believe it was midrange, not too early & not too late, based on the quality of the Pack fireman bayonets I've owned & observed.

An interesting tidbit, Pack had at least 6 different logos for fire bayonets. This is the most per maker that I've found. I think Eick would be 2nd with 4 (single oval pre-33, double oval '33-'34, '35-'41 & over the shoulder). Placing Pack logos in a timeline is not as easy, for me anyway.

Does your bayonet have spanner nuts on the grips or standard rivets? If rivets, are they offset from the center or centered?

Comment

Billy:

I am still looking, but I think that there exist several versions of the double oval Eickhorn TM, which could maybe overtake the Pack mark for most versions.

John

Comment

Billy;
            Rivets are centered.
            Jerry

Comment

OK, I think the popular theory with the centered rivet Pack fireman & pioneer model bayonets are that the hilts were manufactured by someone else & sold to Pack for later construction with Pack blades. I think there's some merit to this theory as I have 6 Pack fireman bayonets (all with different logos) & the ones with centered rivets have a completely different hilt. Many of those with centered rivets I've seen for sale also had non-Pack hilts. Just nonsensical tidbits that make such things a little more interesting.

Does your blade have a swedge?

Comment

Billy;
                The blade has a swedge. Maybe I should buy a book after this as it is getting interesting. It does not have the slot for the bayonet.
                Jerry
                Last edited by jerryrehr; 02-11-2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

It's got a swedge? That's unusual, in a good way. I don't think I've seen a short Pack with swedge before but I'll have to dig out my lists. I know the Siegfried logo Pack I have is a long model but I've handled a bunch of short models before & to memory none had that feature, nice!

Books are always a good idea but I'm afraid you'll look far & wide for a book with such minutiae on dress bayonets. There really isn't one with all the little details that you may find here on WAF & on GD.

George Wheeler (our own SCHUPO on WAF) wrote an excellent tome on bayonets in general with some good chapters on KS98 & Polizei models. Ron Weinand along with Gary Walker wrote another good book titled "German Clamshells & Other Bayonets". There are also some tidbits in the old Johnson series but it's tough to find a comprehensive book on dress bayonets.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X