VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generals/officers SS sword with Rubies offered to me- help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generals/officers SS sword with Rubies offered to me- help needed!

Hi all,

A few months ago I was talking to a record collector friend who mentioned his dad had been in the war, and picked up "an SS sword with rubies in it belonging to a high ranking officer/General".

I am looking at the sword on Saturday and will have pictures then, is there a good reference for this type of thing, and does anyone have an idea why there would be rubies in the sword (perhaps a jeweler did it?)

I am a skeptic and always on the lookout for fakes but so far it seems legitimate, guy isn't a dealer though I am still cautious.

Any help appreciated, working on getting pictures later this weekend!

Thanks!

sounds like a Early SS Lion-head Sword.

We just have to wait for the pics then,,,

Cheers

Emil

Comment

More than likely all it is an army officers sword with glass eyes (Gilt finish lion head sword). Early SS swords will be silver plated and of the same type. Worth checking out, just keep an open mind.

Comment

Hey guys,

thanks for the info

Is there a detailed internet reference on these swords? If it is a lions head SS, should I look out for certain markings?

Comment

Tom Wittmanns SS dagger book shows some of the SS swords. Typically these are just silver plated army officer lion head swords.

Comment

Hey all,

I got pictures of the sword, finally!

It does not appear to be SS but an army officiers of some sort, condition is absolutely mint aside from 2 smaill dents in scabbard, blade mint and unengraved etc. Not surprised at al that his description was wrong, happens all the time. Could anyone help me out as to what it is and what would be a fair price to pay for it?

Thanks!

Comment

Shame about the scabbard, the rest is killer. It depends, are you talking dealer price or collector to collector prices? Dealers ask around 600 but most trade hands with collectors for around 400-450. The condition would bring towards the higher end of the 400 but the scabbard is just screwed so your really only buying the sword so maybe 300-350 but that is just my opinion. People collect these for the variations and what not. Matt

Comment

Very nice condition but for the damages to the scabbard and handle has a few nicks. Appears to be cast aluminum handle with gilt.
                I agree with Matt's assessment.
                Ralph.

Comment

Picked it up for $375, will use as a good trader later on

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X