No announcement yet.

Need opinions on tagged SA Dagger...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nickel plating on the crossguards does not look like it has aged for 70 years. From the photos, the plated parts look to have been polished.

Not buffed out or any type of restoration, just that the fittings look like they are shiny.

Perhaps it is just the light.

In any case, I see no problems with the dagger.

As to price. You have it listed on your site for sale. You must have a price in mind.

Comment

It says the merchandise is for sale but not one item has a price on it ???

Comment

JimW,

I can't say for sure about whether or not the dagger was polished since I just acquired the item and do not know its complete history. The gentleman who sold it to me is inquiring with the vet's widow regarding storage method and any other information she can provide. I'm no expert on metals, but I would think that in the proper environment (absent of oils, heat, moisture, etc) metal can remain in this condition for much longer than 70 years. It brings up an interesting topic for discussion though and would like to hear from others about what environments are best suited for metal preservation.

As for my site, everything I post shows as being for sale until it sells. Regardless of whether or not I want to keep an item in my private collection, everything has a price PM me with an offer if you're interested. I don't want to turn this thread into a sales tool, that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to share this awesome find.

Comment

Newbie question

As edged weapons are not an area I collect, I have a question to pose. I came across a gun dealer that had several what he referred to as "brown boys" in his shop. According to him (again take it at face value) there exists some of these daggers that were captured at the factory, and because of this are sold at lower prices. Now, that said, I don't know how you could prove provenance or (would want to?) could this be the kind of piece he is actually referring to, as it has its RZM tag still attached?

Comment

Originally posted by ArbeitMachtFrei View Post
            As edged weapons are not an area I collect, I have a question to pose. I came across a gun dealer that had several what he referred to as "brown boys" in his shop. According to him (again take it at face value) there exists some of these daggers that were captured at the factory, and because of this are sold at lower prices. Now, that said, I don't know how you could prove provenance or (would want to?) could this be the kind of piece he is actually referring to, as it has its RZM tag still attached?
            Hi ArbeitMachtFrei,

Not at all. To find an SA dagger in this condition, with the tag is actually quite rare, and very desirable. To find one with the RZM tag in any condition is rare and desirable

I have a couple Pumawerk SA daggers that appear to be what the gun dealer is referring to. Speculation is that these were taken from the factory due to the fact they're both from the same vet, both Pumawerk RZM daggers, both show about the same amount of wear, and both are missing the leather strap.

Pumawerk SA Dagger — M7/27

SA Dagger — Pumawerk M7/27

That being said, I disagree that just because an SA dagger may have been taken from a factory that it should be sold at a lower price. A factory dagger looks just as nice on display as one taken during battle, removed from a captured German, or won in a card game back at the barracks

Dzyner

Comment

RZM Tagged SAs

In one of my first motel buys in the 1980s, I had a veteran come in that brougth an old suitcase (hard shell light tan type) and he had 13 RZM Tagged SAs from M7/13 (Schuttlehofer) and he said he had brought 25 back originally. He said he got them out of a store in Germany and had given several away to family members as souviners when he came home from the war. So it is realistic to believe that he wasn't the only veteran who returned more after the war.
              BTW: As SAs were not very expensive at the time and I offered $100.00 each, he thought they were worth more and left with them.

Comment

Great story Ron, thanks for sharing! 13 tagged SAs? That's a dream come true these days What do you think each of those beauties would be worth in today's market?

Comment

Tagged SAs of the RZM period are not that rare. I have three (one NSKK) in stock at athe current time and a couple of HJ Knives with tags. Price usually ranges from $1500 to $2500 depending on condition and maker. Many of these SAs have some bubbling to the crossguards that is a common trait. The wood grip draws moisture from the air and, with high humidity, causes the bubbling next to the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
                    Many of these SAs have some bubbling to the crossguards that is a common trait. The wood grip draws moisture from the air and, with high humidity, causes the bubbling next to the wood.
                    I'm glad you mentioned moisture and humidity... I've been trying to get some feedback (earlier in this thread) from people regarding the ideal environment for daggers in general. What would be the "perfect" environment for daggers in your experience?

Comment

Humidity and dust are not our friends. IF you can hold the humidity below 30% and keep dust (particles hold humidity in contact with the metal and have other contaminants that etch metal) you will avoid the problems with pitting.
                      This is one of the reasons I keep my daggers in the bank (usually low humidity) and in silver cloth anti tarnish material bags to prevent dust and tarnishing. MANY of my dagger have been in these bags for over 30 years and no deterioration, but most collectors don't want them out of sight ( my preference as I am on the road so often buying). I have the dagger separate from the scabbard (my choice). see old threads on this site to view the daggers I have in my collection in older posts (around July of 2010 I believe).
                      I have put a humidity gauge in the safety deposit boxes to check on the bank's level before commiting to large numbers in storage in the past.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X