Any ideas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas???

Friend helping a friend with this one. I was ask by a friend if I had any idea what type of sword this is. What era and Country. I have never seen anything like it before. It appears to have a ray skin wrapped handle. He says he can not see any markings and that's no surprise considering its condition. My first thought was British. He thought French, maybe as early as the Napoleonic era.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Attached Files

last one
    Attached Files

Comment

You need to post an overall shot to see if the blade is the correct type,as this blade may have bee replaced due to the crude peening on the tang end.

Comment

Like it was already said you need better pics of the whole sword.
        But it is 1800's sword, Hussar type of sword, heavy cavalry. But from where it would need more information and pics from the sword.

Comment

18th century European

Hi Rob,

It's a guess, but it looks like an 18th century European saber. I have seen some French, Prussian, Polish, Russian, etc. sabers that look similar. More pics, including the scabbard if he has it.

Comment

As requested by all. Here is a photo of the sword in question. It's the only photo of the sword in length I have.

Blade is broken maybe 1/3 from where the tip should be. Condition is very poor as we can see. Surely no value to the piece. I'm just trying to help ID the piece for a friend.
            Attached Files

Comment

So there is no markings on the blade? Without scabbard, and no markings on the blade is going to be very hard to find out where it is from. With this type of sword they all looked alike.

Comment

Mystery Sword

The sword in question looks rather like of the the variations of the English Constabulary Sword, circa 1860.

Attached is am image of one that I have - slightly different, but same general theme.

FJS
                Attached Files

Comment

There was a time when regimental commanders were given a sum of money, and left to their own devices to purchase whatever was needed to outfit the men under their command. Some reached into their own pockets to supplement the funds given them, while others looked for the best prices. Which is why before standardization there are so many variations - without even taking the different nationalities into account.

With an approximately 3 foot or so blade, the narrow type langets, and a slightly different finial on the knuckle bow, the sword could easily be a variant of the British 1788 cavalry saber. Which had the same small fuller next to the spine, with some examples also having fish skin (shark) covered grips. Being made in both England and outsourced to Germany with the German versions being closer in manufacture to the M 1721 light cavalry saber. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X