RLB dress Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RLB dress Bayonet

Hi Guys, got a chance buying this RLB Bayonet, please look at the pics, do you think it's a good one, allready did some research and I see nothing wrong with it, but I'm a novice, so please opinions. mm. is E.Pack&Sohne Solingen, and on the reverse Franz Brehme 1942. on the hanger a mark X.
    Kr. Den
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Since it is easy to apply insignia to a grip, I can't answer on originality of the bayonet, but it looks nice. I will add a couple comments based on what I do know.

1. The frog is not original to the bayonet. The RLB logo is an early one, and a later combat style is not issue. I would expect to see a patent leather frog.

2. Since the RLB logo is early, I would check that the EPS maker mark is an early one. I am on the road and cannot check my references.
          Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Jeff makes a couple of excellent points. I might add that you should make sure the grip insignia wiggles ever so slightly, as it would have been applied by means of pins/prongs passed through holes in the grip and bent over on the back side of the grip panel.

There is no real way to tell if the grip insignia was put on at the time of manufacture, added during the period by the original owner, or added post-war. It wouldn't be that difficult since the grip plates are secured by screws and spanner nuts. (All you would need to perform the task is a drill, a screwdriver and a grip insignia). It certainly looks original, though. Might be a good idea to take the grips off - carefully so as not to damage the screw heads! - and have a look at the method of application.

Probably the biggest question I would have is, How much more than a standard dress bayonet will it cost to buy?

Good luck,
            Skip

Comment

Den,

I don't have my Pack bayonets easily accessable at the moment but I am almost sure that the grip bolts of the bayonet you show are put in from the wrong side. What I mean is that the spanner nuts should be on the reverse side of the bayonet. They appear to be on the obverse side in your pictures. The smooth bolt heads should be presented to the viewer when the bayonet is sheathed and in the frog. Pack bayonets are the easiest to alter as the grips are removable. IMO I would not place a lot of stock in that bayonet being originally so. Sorry.

Tony
              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

screws

Hello members, i am not expert on dress bayos, while the majority have a rivets, its not possible where is the head and where the counterparts, but from combat bayos 98k, are the screws correct and the heads are on reverse side and the counter female screws on obverse, like on the pictured piece. best regards,Andy from BCN

Comment

Great help Guys, thanks alot, appreciate it.

Den

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X