Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billy G View Post
    Joe,

You're usually right on these matters. My understanding, however flawed, was that the shorter 10" blade bayonets were worn by officers. How high did one have to rise in rank to go from the 13" blade to the 10"?
    Billy, the shorter blades were authorized to be privately purchased as an Extra- Seitengewehr to be worn off duty by Meister and Wachtmeister ranks. The requirement was that it conform to the design of the standard service bayonet and be up to 15 cm shorter than the standard service bayonet. I believe Eickhorn carried such an Extra-Seitengewehr as Model 1320.

As the war progressed, the production of the Polizei-Seitengewehr ceased in favor of the S.84/98 and damaged police service bayonets sent into arsenals for repairs or requested replacement were ordered satisfied with the S.84/98.

Comment

The 1938 Kundendienst lists the 1320 model as a 'Polizei Extra-Seitengewehr' with a length of 40cm. With a black scabbard, it cost 9.50DM and with a brown scabbard 9.80DM.

Model 1153 is the 46.5 cm longer 'Polizei Dienst-Seitengewehr'.

The shorter one, being private purchase, is a real treat to find. And, the one from Billy with the late war over shoulder mark is almost impossible.

Great bayonets, buys.

John

Comment

Joe,

Thanks for the informative response. So the way to determine the rank of an individual wearing the polizei seitengerwehr would be by virtue of the knot attached to it?

These shorter Polizei Seitengewehre have always interested me & I have a number of examples both produced in the 3R & before. Here's a 25cm blade on a 3R produced example by Clemen & Jung. This one has an aluminum hilt, steel scabbard with fittings & the late, solid grip emblem.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Billy G View Post
          Joe,

Thanks for the informative response. So the way to determine the rank of an individual wearing the polizei seitengerwehr would be by virtue of the knot attached to it?.........................
          The knots only indicated whether the wearer was an officer (or senior NCO entitled to wear officer equipment) or other ranks. There were only four knots for the police: for other ranks-large with green stripes for sword and small with green stripes for bayonet; for officer or entitled senior NCO- large knot for swords or small knot for bayonet. As I wrote, I don't believe I have ever seen a photo of a post 1936 uniformed police officer wearing a police bayonet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X