2nd model luft black grip by klaas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd model luft black grip by klaas

Just picked this dagger up last weekend at a show, the grip has most of the white paint , there a crack on the back of the grip but most thats ive seen have a crack or two. Are these just late war last over grips that they painted white?
    Attached Files

pic 3

pic 3
    Attached Files

Comment

pic 5

pic 5
      Attached Files

Comment

pic 7

pic 7
        Attached Files

Comment

pic 8

pic 8
          Attached Files

Comment

pic 10

pic 10
            Attached Files

Comment

These type of daggers are the ones that everyone refers to as "Funeral daggers" however, as this nice example shows, the black handles were painted white, but over time the paint came of.
              Great dagger

Comment

And, if you carefully take off the white paint on the grip and have an all black handle, you will have 'created' a 'funeral dagger' which is magically worth $1,000-1,500 more than a plain Jane Luft2.

A big payback for a little sweat, but I actually do not recommend doing it.

John

Comment

Originally posted by JohnZ View Post
                  And, if you carefully take off the white paint on the grip and have an all black handle, you will have 'created' a 'funeral dagger' which is magically worth $1,000-1,500 more than a plain Jane Luft2.

A big payback for a little sweat, but I actually do not recommend doing it.

John
                  Having seen more paint removed examples than I care to remember. I think that the “funeral daggers” are in the same category as the “personalized” government property Luftwaffe daggers with initials, names, and coats of arms etc. engraved into them. It might have have seemed like a good idea at the time to make them more valuable. But who wants to pay even more for an item that has lost its originality? Or to someone who does not like items that have been “humped up” and only worth a fraction of an untouched piece?? FP

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the imput on the dagger, i would not think of takeing the paint off, a few years ago i baught a army one and started to take the paint off till i talked to a dealer friend who yelled at me for doing it.
                    Last edited by NBolinger; 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Nice to see it with the paint intact. I still wonder which Donald Duck came on the brilliant idea to call them $$$$$$rare funeral daggers $$$$$.

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
                      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for help on the dagger.

Comment

Well Im glad I saw this post. I was not aware of how the funeral daggers came about. Thanks for sharing the info all, and btw nice dagger!

Comment

A rare dagger either with or without the grip paint. A shame about the grip crack but it's still a very nice original.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X