SA Transitional Dagger Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Transitional Dagger Question

A short time ago I purchased an SA dagger that is described as transitional. I will admit that I am new at collecting and this was my first dagger. This dagger is described as an SA transitional with a combination of the Eickhorn-RZM 7/66 1939 stamp. The dagger came with a brown scabbard and does "NOT" have the word "Original" above the Eickhorn logo which is the squirrel standing and holding a sword. I have read numerous posts on this dagger and the pros and cons of a an Eickhorn dagger that does not have the word "Original". I have come to understand that the dagger of this type is probably indeed period although it may not have actually been assembled at the Eickhorn factory. With that being said one of my main concerns is was this dagger supposed to be accompanied with a black NSKK scabbard or the brown SA scabbard. Most daggers of the type described above that I have seen both on this site and others is that the dagger should have come with the NSKK black scabbard. As of this date I have seen 2 daggers offered for sale with this logo on another web site and one is currently for sale on E stand, all having black scabbards. I purchased this dagger from a reputable dealer whom I will not mention. I have asked him about the scabbard and he stated that the dagger with this logo may have come with a black scabbard but as their may have been an overun of this color they were painted brown to apparently classify them as a true SA dagger. So my question is basically very simple, the dagger which was sold to me as an authentic SA dagger with the logo described above, should it have a brown SA scabbard or a black NSKK. Also has anyone ever heard of black scabbards being painted brown so that they can now be officially labeled as an SA. Thank you for any assistance that you can provide.

Jerry Sitek

It could come with either a brown or black scabbard and the transition trademark that yours has, would not dictate one over the other. I don't know who is saying that these were not produced by Eickhorn, but I very much believe that they were. This firm used many different trademarks over the years and were the last to conform to the RZM standards. The RZM wanted companies to drop their previous logos and trademarks and in essence their individuality that they were so proud of over many years in business. Eickhorn held on the longest until they too were forced to use the 7/66 RZM code on their political edged weapons.

Comment

I have two 1938 dated transitonal SAs, both brown scabbards, one with Original and one without.

I also have a 1939 RZM only (no squirrel) NSKK and a 1939 dated transitional SA without the word Original.

I have no doublts about their legitimacy.

John

Comment

John and JR, I would like to thank you for your quick response in reference to my question about which color dagger should accompany the Eickhorn/RZM Transitional dagger. To me it would seem that at the factory when the dagger was produced and then trademarked, it could be fitted with either the black or the brown scabbard. Thus, depending on the scabbard it was assigned, it's classification as either an SA or a NSKK would be finalized.
        If this is indeed the case then that is all that the dealer I bought the dagger from had to say, he did not have to get defensive and accuse me of trying to say that I accused him of selling a fake dagger. I simply asked a simple question, black or brown scabbard for a dagger marked with the trademark indicated.

Comment

No probelm at all if the word "original" does not appear. Someone had asked me about this before and it may have been you?
          Best Wishes,
          Bob
          www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

"ORIGINAL" or no "ORIGINAL" - both types are original

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X