Luftwaffe sword with etching and engraving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe sword with etching and engraving

What do you think about this sword? crossguard and pommel is real silver. crossguard is stamped "800" Have a look at the pics. Thanks a lot
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by casey76
      Attached Files

Comment

[4QUOTE=casey76;5006337]3[/QUOTE]
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by casey76 View Post
          [46quote=casey76;5006337]3
          [/quote]
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I would pass on this one

Comment

Originally posted by rajko84 View Post
                I would pass on this one
                I’m in agreement and would also pass on this one. While the images are not as well defined/sharp as I would like - to me it looks like a curious blend of mostly new parts, and maybe some period ones all put together trying to avoid detection circa 1970’s(?). FP

Comment

PS: I’m sure that it’s not too surprising for most collectors that well known historical figures are oftentimes selected as candidates for unique/personalized postwar manufactured and/or altered blades. And while I don’t see the name on the blade in the images, I’m going to assume that the name on the paper label is related to the presentation.

“ ............ Am 1. Juni 1941 zum Leutnant befördert, wurde er für seine Erfolge am 16. März 1942 mit dem Deutschen Kreuz in Gold ausgezeichnet .......... November 1942 wurde er zum Oberleutnant befördert und Kapitän der 5. Staffel des Schlacht-Geschwaders 1. Am 1. August 1943 zum Hauptmann befördert, erhielt er nach 500 Feindflügen am 19. September 1943 das Ritterkreuz verliehen .......... Nach rund 800 Feindflügen wurde er am 25. November 1944 mit dem Eichenlaub ausgezeichnet.”

FP

Comment

Hard to tell from the pictures but the etching on the blade looks very similiar to those usually seen on faked dedicated SS swords. I have been told that these blades were made up in England during the 70s.
                    Jim

Comment

It all depends on the price. I sure would like to have one like this. But then, I'm not an antique dealer just a collector who likes nice swords and daggers. This is truly a master piece of craftsmanship and artistry. If, and I mean if, it is postwar it couldn't have been done any better during the TR.

Comment

BTW, this etching pattern was also used during the TR and might have been copied after the war. But it is not a postwar 'invention'.

Comment

I have an SS sword blade that I keep here as an example I'm told was part of the 70s English batch. The oak leaves in the etch are virtually identical to those shown above. The dedication of the blade is to an Oberstrumbannfuher named "Brandt". The makers mark is the oval etched P D Luneschloss.
                          Jim

Comment

Jim. If you have Wittmann's SS book look at pages 395 and 409. It shows that this etch pattern was used during the TR.

Comment

Originally posted by cogwheel View Post
                              .................. This is truly a master piece of craftsmanship and artistry. If, and I mean if, it is postwar it couldn't have been done any better during the TR.
                              To each his own as to what they like, but I'm afraid that I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Side by side, the level of detailed workmanship on the hilts of any number of period conventional Luftwaffe swords is superior to this example. And this was (supposedly) a special presentation with an April 1939 date on the upper locket? And when did he make the rank of Captain?? FP
                              Last edited by Frogprince; 12-09-2011, 06:34 PM. Reason: minor corrections

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X