griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KS98 short dress engraved bayonet, original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KS98 short dress engraved bayonet, original?

Please opinions.
    Attached Files

More pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Last.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thats a tuff one the pics aren't the best the lighting is thowing me off. It looks ok in a couple but the close up makes me question it. Need to let a expert see it in person sorry.

Comment

looks nice to me

Comment

look how crooked that line is that runs at the base of the wreath... I am going to say no or if it is it was a factory reject as that is not up to the standard IMHO. Matt

Comment

The light may be playing tricks with the pictures but I'm inclined to say this etch was done postwar. Klaas etches lacked the general sloppiness that we've come to see in Holler etches.

The border by the maker mark made me look twice but the crooked bottom border on the full obverse picture sinks it (for me anyway) that this wasn't done pre-1945.

Comment

You can see what this etch should look like on page 232 of Wayne's book (the bottom one, marked 'B').

I think that a little misalignment of the etch borders is ok... look at the pictures of the bottom border, but Billy's comment on the crooked bookend by the TM is right on.

By the way, doesn't it look like 'KLAAC' instead of 'KLAAS' to you?

This one wouldn't make it into my collection.

John

Comment

I also have been looking at page 232 of Techet and IMO the bayonet is period. Bottom Line: It may not be in the best condition but I don't think it is a fake.
                  Did anyone ever see a fake single etch bayonet? I haven't.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X