Bayo ID Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayo ID Help

Hey guys.... Any ideas what this bayo went to and from what country? Never seen this type before.

Thanks,
    Skip
    Attached Files

Hi Skip,

Have you a photo available showing the blade?

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

More Pics

Sure... more pics. Not many markings.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Skip,
        Nice bayo, it's a Belgian M1916 bayonet for the M1889 Mauser Rifle/Carbine, these were shortened in 1924 and continued in service into WW2

Regards Chris.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks very much. Now I know what to call it.

Skip

Comment

Hi Skip,
            I'm afraid I'm guilty of passing on duff information, I should have double checked, because Carter paints a completely different picture. It seems that the M16 designation that has been used for this bayonet is incorrect, and came about through confusion with another piece altogether.

Although it may well have been shortened later on, this did not happen in 1924, the bayonet was actually adopted in that year and was known as the Epee-Baionnette Modele 1924. There are two types that differ only in the diameter of the muzzle ring, 17.5mm and 15mm respectively.

There does seem to have been some confusion over Belgian bayonet designations, not helped by the factories having different masters on a couple of occasions, I'm thinking !!!

Regards Chris.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X