copper adler on SS dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copper adler on SS dagger

I have this dagger and I would like to know what is known about the copper adlers said to be found in some SS daggers.
    I have been told that Wittman has described them in his book , but I dont have that book yet, so can't read up for myself.
    What years and makes were such adlers found?
    Is there any contention as to their authenticity/use? -or are they accepted by the dagger community?
    the reddish copper color has such a different look than the standard silvery colored nickel/aluminum.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael
    Attached Files

Hi Michael,

I'm not sure about it use in SS daggers, but at Eickhorn Late SA daggers is very common to find cooper silver plated eagles. With the time silver plate was gone and eagles has now a cooper appearence like in your SS dagger.

Comment

Originally posted by R.R. View Post
      Hi Michael,

I'm not sure about it use in SS daggers, but at Eickhorn Late SA daggers is very common to find cooper silver plated eagles. With the time silver plate was gone and eagles has now a cooper appearence like in your SS dagger.

Hello R.R.,
      So mine could be this way because of the worn off silver plate.
      thanks,
      Michael

Comment

From my experiences many of the type 1 SS M36 daggers have the copper plated eagles and runes that we find in the later war examples. I have owned x2 examples that I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
          Hello R.R.,
          So mine could be this way because of the worn off silver plate.
          thanks,
          Michael
          Seems to me from your picture there is some silver plate residue at eagle wings.

I agree with Rader opinion, some M36 SS was made by Eickhorn and is logical to think they used the same materials employed at late SA RZM ones.

I no idea who are the others M36 makers that can used cooper eagles on theirs daggers.

Comment

wasn't it only a copper base layer for the silver plating?

Comment

Originally posted by Rheingold View Post
              wasn't it only a copper base layer for the silver plating?
              I think it was made in a copper alloy, not only a copper base layer.

Comment

Hello Eric v.Rader and R.R.,
                thanks for your advice. As you may have noticed, in the bottom of my 1st photo was a hint of a chain.

It is a 36 chained one. I enjoy learning- and so Eichkorn made some of the 36's.. Mine is not what some collectors want in terms of condition, but i like it. I care more about authenticity, than condition. I should do a search button on this but Ill ask anyway: Why no maker marks?
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
                  I should do a search button on this but Ill ask anyway: Why no maker marks?

Hello Michael,

I no idea why they don't etched the MM at SS M36 blade daggers, but I only know it is the accepted pattern for it.

Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Well, I should say first that daggers, although I like them, are way out of my field of knowledge. Could it be possible that this one was produced before the RZM control took upon them the general organisation and approval of these tems?
                    You see it on the early model SS skulls, both first and second pattern. With the second pattern you see from the early years unmarked, Ges.Gesch., Makers Mark, Makers Mark with stamped RZM logo, Makers Number with RZM logo struck, M code Makers Number with RZM logo etc etc ..... say a development in marking.
                    Could this have maybe been be the same for daggers ( or even the general development in organizing ?).

Comment

Originally posted by R.R. View Post
                      I think it was made in a copper alloy, not only a copper base layer.
                      Thanks for your response RR.

you might be right,but i also came across some with a copper base layer.

both variants are possible, imo

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by revi View Post
                        Well, I should say first that daggers, although I like them, are way out of my field of knowledge. Could it be possible that this one was produced before the RZM control took upon them the general organisation and approval of these tems?
                        I think it's not the answer to the question about the absence of MM at SS M36 blades. SS daggers was put under RZM control some years before SA ones, and some SS blades from 1934 and 1935 are RZM markeds and the unmarkeds M36 daggers are produced after 1937. I realy don't have idea why M36 blades are unmarkeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Von Rader View Post
                          From my experiences many of the type 1 SS M36 daggers have the copper plated eagles and runes that we find in the later war examples.
                          I confirm that.

Comment

R.R.,
                            It was more a question to a question than an answer , I find it very interesting to see the development from abscence of to a variety in stampings from the early years to the later period, although the stamping on daggers seems to be more consistent ( to me as a novice ).
                            Best,
                            Seth.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X