SS Oddity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Oddity

Back in the Days of the 1960's and early 70's, when veterans used to bring their war souvenirs to local gun shows to sell, there would be on occasion be some never before seen original but unusual items with these 'Walk-Ins'.

Today if some of these were shown today many would call them fake or altered post-war. Here is what I believe to be one of those types of items. Who's ever seen something like this?

The dagger is a 121/34. Looks Like a RAD shield of some sort.
    The shield shows a lot of handling wear as does the dagger.
    I would have thought this would not been allowed, but then....
    Last edited by Serge M.; 11-09-2011, 10:19 PM.

Look what Tommy Johnson found in a Solingen photo archive.

(Image taken from T.J's Collecting Edged weapons books)

There is still so much that we don't know about this hobby and it's part of that allure that we probably never will and perhaps it's best that way.

All comments welcome as all I want to do is share with you this item and perhaps other possibilities of other organizations within the SS that were allowed under some rare exceptions such grip insignia changes on SS daggers.

-wagner-
    Last edited by Serge M.; 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM.

Comment

If SS Rohm daggers can be found without the name being ground off.I don't see why SS daggers with anomalys can't be seen on occasion.

Comment

Wags, way cool. There was a SS dagger posted here a few months ago with a Russian red enamel star inlaid in place of the eagle. Neat I agree.
        www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for this posting Wags + pics

Cool blackie , but if we talk about Standard SS daggers , this type are not often seen and its very easy to fake.

Not for me this type SS variant. But i had buy it if i was 100% sure and get it directly from a veteran or something.

Regards LH

Comment

Do you believe this is original
            Regards
            Mametz

Comment

Neat item. It looks a lot like the "spade" section of a RAD pin or some such device. I would lean more towards it having been done by the veteran who took the dagger as a souvenir rather than having been worn this way by the SS man. Just my .2 cents worth. A neat, most likely period modified item either way!

Comment

Originally posted by mametz View Post
                Do you believe this is original
                Regards
                Mametz
                For me it's just an oddity. As I'm not trying to convince anyone it's real. It's what ever you want to believe. I have it 'in-hand' and for me yes, I believe it's period. It all has the wear and age to it, but I seen a lot of things and try to keep an open mind.
                If you believe that only the daggers that exisited are shown somewhere in a book as as many 'textbook' collectors, that's fine with me. I like to take a 'chance'.

If you saw today that SS dagger that is in the Johnson Solingen archive, would you think that is fake? You think that was perhaps the only one? If you believe that is real then why was only that one allowed to be made?

How many here know of the Werkschutz dagger? ( Factory Protection Dagger)

Ask any dealer or seasoned collector who has handled many daggers- they all know and seen oddball varient daggers. Most from the woodwork and mostly all original but not seen anywhere else.

Just food for thought.

-wagner-

Comment

Thank you for showing such a rare and awsome dagger. May we please see the blade? Best regards.

Comment

Wags,
                    Do you have any pics of factory protection dagger?
                    I never even heard of that one. I would like to see it and learn something new.
                    Regards Rajko

Originally posted by wags View Post
                    For me it's just an oddity. As I'm not trying to convince anyone it's real. It's what ever you want to believe. I have it 'in-hand' and for me yes, I believe it's period. It all has the wear and age to it, but I seen a lot of things and try to keep an open mind.
                    If you believe that only the daggers that exisited are shown somewhere in a book as as many 'textbook' collectors, that's fine with me. I like to take a 'chance'.

If you saw today that SS dagger that is in the Johnson Solingen archive, would you think that is fake? You think that was perhaps the only one? If you believe that is real then why was only that one allowed to be made?

How many here know of the Werkschutz dagger? ( Factory Protection Dagger)

Ask any dealer or seasoned collector who has handled many daggers- they all know and seen oddball varient daggers. Most from the woodwork and mostly all original but not seen anywhere else.

Just food for thought.

-wagner-

Comment

very cool dagger indeed.. thanks for sharing

Comment

Very interesting! I especially like the 2nd posts Solingen photo(from TJ book)...those runes in the Swas: I have seen such a runic pattern somewhere before...Odal, Inguz and Oss.. I think from a pre nsdap group . Have to think about this.

Also I agree there is a lot unknown about these daggers. I am investigating some aspects of SS daggers on my own right now.

Comment

Outside of the grip sheild it's a regular old worn SS dagger.

-wagner-

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LH 600 View Post
                              Thanks for this posting Wags + pics

Cool blackie , but if we talk about Standard SS daggers , this type are not often seen and its very easy to fake.

Not for me this type SS variant. But i had buy it if i was 100% sure and get it directly from a veteran or something.

Regards LH

Thank You Paul H.

And LH, yes this type of dagger could be faked by an average faker. However I will tell you what I seen back-in-the-day. A dagger like this 'out of the woodwork' 100% stock and virgin- would be converted back into 'textbook' and resold because something like this was not 'right'. (need to max out profit)

They would also shine up daggers with great patina and get that nasty old rust off of it. Yep...they would. A shiny army dagger would bring you an extra $20.00. Don't laugh...$5.00 would fill up your car on leaded premium.
                              Isn't that right Ron?

-wagner-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X