Blade cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blade cleaning

I have an SA dagger that I need to assess the blade condition. The vet who took it as a souvenir greased the blade at some point to prevent oxidation. Most of it wiped away with little effort, but there are some areas of sticky, congealed grease remaining that would seem like it would require a solvent to remove. I do not want to lean on it too hard with even a soft cloth because the blade still retains the cross grain. Any advice is appreciated.

I might leave well alone, but this one is for resale and if there is any discoloration of the blade under these spots of congealed grease or they are holding tight to older oxidation, it is better for a potential buyer to know ahead of time. Again, any advice is appreciated regarding the removal of this grease.

I would suggest white spirit or turpentine substitute as it is sometimes called. We use this in the U.K for cleaning decorating brushes and thinning oil based paint. This is not available in some countries where only cellulose thinner has been offered as an alternative. Not sure about the U.S.?

It is an excellent de-greaser. Other than that you might try acetone.

Hope this helps

Comment

Vaughn's suggestions sound very reasonable. My only caveat about using such a product would be to avoid the motto area on the blade. I suspect such products might remove some of the period burnish that usually remains in the motto which would detract some value IMHO.

Comment

Methylated Spirits is a great unharmful degreaser cleaner that evaporates & leaves no greasy film residue imo

Comment

WD 40.Lightly applied and gently wiped.Fabulous.
          Seiler.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I shall gently proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley's Dad View Post
              Thanks for the suggestions, I shall gently proceed.
              Hi please show us pix of the finished job & the method used ?

Comment

Not specifically to remove grease but the SA dagger book mentions using Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X