Imperial bayonet??

Just got this bayo wich i was told was german

what are your thoughts on this one??

wich era??

value??

i will post one picture with k98 bayonet for size comparisment

Regards

Halli

It is indeed German, looks like a model 1871.

Comment

Yes a m-1871 dress bayonet. I think I can make out the remnants of etching on the blade.

Comment

any idea on value on a piece like this??

cheers

Halli

Comment

Imperial Bayonet

You are correct, it is the bayonet for the Model 1871 Mauser rifle, but more interestingly it has been manufactured in a much later period of time. In 1871, the company which later became known as WKC was in fact known as Weyersberg & Kirschbaum et Cie - and their emblem was a double image showing a King's Head with Crown and the Visored Knight's Helmet, shown side by side.

The piece submitted by HailliB shows only the trademark of the Visored Knight's Helmet - which was adopted by the company in the late 1920s. So I submit that the manufacture of this bayonet dates from the late Weimar/early Third Reich period, regardless of the pattern weapon which it was supposed to accompany.

Military hardwear had a much longer life in those times - equipment was built to last, because vast technological changes were not envisaged as being forthcoming. So equipment being kept in use for 50 or 70 years was not uncommon. As it became outdated it was replaced, and sold on to other countries (i.e. South America or "third world" economies), and so the supply of replacement parts and accessories was maintained in production.

To prove this point, I submit an illustration from a 1970s Carl Eickhorn catalogue - showing some bayonets (out-dated by many decades) that were still available for purchase from the company. One of them being the Model 1871 Mauser bayonet - still in production more than 100 yers after it was first produced.

Frederick J. Stephens
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
          X