X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eickhorn wh dagger ..Ernst von Briesen

can anyone help me with this item

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...?f=21&t=180955

Please, post some pictures. Too much clicking too many links.

Comment

I haven't seen such crossguard on Eickhorn before. It's not Eickhorn crossguard nor even WKC (result of parts exchange between the factories). Scabbard screw is positioned bit lower than usual. Strange. I wonder what others have to say (if they fell like clicking )

Comment

That is an Eickhorn guard. I believe it is the 3rd type where the second type head is still used but it has the last guards chest feathering style. One of the less seen types, only one less seen is the very initial type that is sometimes paired with the very rare Eicks with a slant grip.... Nice persoalization by the way! Kevin.

Comment

I like what I see so far, but would like a closer picture of the cross-guard to be sure. It appears to be the rarer type 3 Eickhorn cross-guard which crops up from time to time, the other parts all look correct for Eickhorn also, thick scabbard throat, typical pommel and scabbard bands etc and the correct TM to the blade. This one is worth following up in my opinion.

Comment

Can you help me with locating this very crossguard in Wittmann Vol.I?
            I can't see it there.

Comment

In the first instance I concur with Degens regarding this dagger and indeed there is potential.

777, to answer your question.

All my books are packed away and not easily accessible however if my memory serves me correctly this x guard is either not featured or is chronologically incorrect due to Mr. Wittmann`s omission of the true 1st Eickhorn x guard and the subsequent 2nd type being attributed as the 1st pattern. If it is in Volume 1 it would have beeen designated (incorrectly) as the 2nd variant.

It must be stated here that the first pattern is really rather rare and therefore not surprising to me that even a collector/ dealer such as Mr. Wittmann had not had such a dagger pass through his hands or drawn to his attention.

FYI the 1st pattern.
              Attached Files

Comment

thank you for that i'll take some closer pics of the front later on but my camera is not fantastic .... im not a dagger colllector and it just came with some other items and i'll proberly swop it or sell it (im a medal collector ).. i've been trying to find out about Ernst von Briesen and i gentleman posted me this

I found a statement of a "Ernst von Briesen" a ditrict court judge near the KZ Bergen Belsen,
                dated 1950:

Die Bewohner von Bergen fühlen sich als unschuldig verfolgte Opfer. "Man nannte uns Mörder, und es soll sogar die Absicht bestanden haben, ganz Bergen aus Vergeltung niederzubrennen", empört sich der Bergener Amtsrichter Ernst von Briesen noch im Oktober 1950 in einem Aufsatz über die "Wahrheit mit Belsen".

Von Briesen, einer der wenigen Akademiker im Ort, bemüht sich um die Ehrenrettung seiner Bewohner. Sein vielfach verbreitetes Traktat kursiert bald in Haushalten und an Stammtischen. Doch der Amtsgerichtsrat hält sich wenig an die Fakten. So gerät sein Aufsatz zur Mustervorlage von Leugnung, Verdrängung und (Bergen-Belsen-)Lüge.

Er stellt darin sogar dem KZ-Kommandanten einen Persilschein aus: Kramer sei ein "anständiger Mann und redlich bemüht", alles "für die ihm anvertrauten Häftlinge zu tun". Von Briesen verschweigt, daß Kramer zuvor schon Kommandant im Vernichtungslager Auschwitz-Birkenau gewesen war. Kramer ist im November 1945 von einem britischen Militärgericht zum Tode verurteilt worden. In diesem Verfahren kamen auch sadistische Quälereien an Gefangenen zur Sprache, für die Kramer Verantwortung trug.

Für den Amtsgerichtsrat von Briesen ist die Bevölkerung von Bergen "Gegenstand eines Grauenfeldzuges geworden"; für den Tod der Juden im nahen KZ sei sie ohnehin nicht verantwortlich zu machen, denn auf die "Judenverfolgung hatte das deutsche Volk nicht den geringsten Einfluß".

If this is the Ernst von Briesen you are looking for I do not know.

There was even a German Vorpostenboot in WW2 named "Ernst von Briesen".

also i've found this

http://www.bergenbelsen.co.uk/pages/...ampStaffID=175

Comment

Originally posted by Vaughan View Post
                  In the first instance I concur with Degens regarding this dagger and indeed there is potential.

777, to answer your question.

All my books are packed away and not easily accessible however if my memory serves me correctly this x guard is either not featured or is chronologically incorrect due to Mr. Wittmann`s omission of the true 1st Eickhorn x guard and the subsequent 2nd type being attributed as the 1st pattern. If it is in Volume 1 it would have beeen designated (incorrectly) as the 2nd variant.

It must be stated here that the first pattern is really rather rare and therefore not surprising to me that even a collector/ dealer such as Mr. Wittmann had not had such a dagger pass through his hands or drawn to his attention.

FYI the 1st pattern.
                  Thanks

Comment

the close pic of the eagle

http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=PICT0274.jpg

http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=PICT0273.jpg

Comment

I have an identical one to that, in fact there is a photo of the same crossguard on the rear dust cover of Wittmans Heer book.

When Wittman published his 'bible' on heer daggers he stated that Eickhorn produced 2 styles of crossguard where in fact they actually produced 4.
                      The 1st and 2nd types are very similar and easily confused, however when I acquired mine I noticed a distinct difference between what Wittman had stated and shown in his book and flagged it up when I was a member of GDC, subsequent research by experienced members such as Bill Warda led to it being tagged for a time as a 1.5 varient, further research came up with 4 Eickhorn varients, yours (and mine)are now accepted by collectors as a type 3 and IMO the best of the lot, so no worries mate, from what I see you have a very nice 100% Eick Heer there with the added bonus of the personalisation

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X