Opinions needed on Luft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed on Luft

I would be greatful for opinions on this unmarked luft, which even to my inexperienced eye does not seem to have the correct ferrule and seems to have a guitar string around the handle. The cross bands around the scabbard appear much brighter than the rest of the scabbard as do the unmarked hangers. I attach some pics.
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Attached Files

Some more pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

A couple more pics.
      Attached Files

Comment

Two more pics.
        Attached Files

Comment

My thoughts

My opinion is the same as yours, so do not second guess it. I never buy any daggers w out makers marks. Sure there may have been some, but why risk it for your collection. Also, the wire looks suspicious. Ferrule is wrong. Unless it's 200, I would not touch it.

Comment

Hi Peter,

I agree with the others comments as well... All the anomalies you posted set off all kind of alarm bells. There is too much not right about this 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger. I'm no expert, but when I compare the photos you posted with my Alcoso 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger, there is no comparison in quality.

Regards,
            Don_

Comment

Thanks Mallard and Don,
              It certainly has its faults, and I think, unless it is cheap its probably not worth bothering with.
              I was wondering if any other parts were wrong.
              Thanks,
              Peter.

Comment

IMO it looks like a good dagger to me. Nothing wrong with unmarked blades except they are unmarked. I have had plenty of original perfect unmarked blades over the years. As far as the scabbard rings being brighter I have see this many times also, I believe it has something to do with the bands being of an aluminum material which weras easier verses the scabbard material(metal). The grip wire is fine. A well worn dagger...Jeff
                Last edited by Jeff Nichols; 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jeff,
                  I have not seen a coiled grip wire before, except once, when it was described as non standard by members of the forum. The bands and the hanger parts, which were unmarkeed,
                  were of an appearance that was similar to polished bare aluminium, which might be OK as far as I know, the grey wash having been polished off.
                  The ferrule I am certain was not right, which might not be apparent from the photographs, but stood out a mile when examined in hand.
                  It went for what I thought was a fantastic price of £420 and I let it go.
                  Thanks,
                  Peter.

Comment

Peter:

Good call... that was way too much for a damaged dagger in mediocre shape.

John

Comment

Thanks John,
                      I thought it went for far too much.
                      Peter.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X