Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Sword

Hey,

When I first started collecting about 10+ years ago I bought this sword at a local antiques auction. Because of the price I paid and the rarity of these I took it to be a repro, and have assumed it to be ever since. But tonight I was looking at it for the first time in years and thought "could it be?".

Anyway, not expecting anything, but thanks in advance.

Jon

the ferrule looks quite think against the grip,but could just be the photo angles,
    Don't write it off,take some closer pics- I don't see any obvious red flags
    Don't worry about the blade if its unmarked, not all were.
    If I was offered this on these photos I would bid. You might have done very well,lets see what others say but please post up some better pictures.

Comment

Hmm interesting,

Thanks for the reply, here are a couple more shots, hope they're better, if need any other specific photos just let me know.

Thanks again

Last edited by Snorky; 06-28-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I believe this is an SS officer's candidate degen....I like the appearance of the scabbard.....Generally the reproductions are poorly executed and are a dead giveaway.....It's overall appearance looks promising, but I will let the experts chime in.....Bodes

Comment

This is not the officers candidate style but the Officer one. Better pictures of the whole scabbard would be great, espically at the bottom. I do not like the SS in the grip, the scabbard might be OK but more pictures are needed. Police officer swords used the same type scabbard and this could very well be an original scabbard with a high quality repro sword, The screw in the scabbard on the top fitting looks to be replaced as it looks flat to me and normally the original ones were more rounded.. hard to explain but maybe the angles of the pictures. Nothing jumps at me on the blade, just the SS in the grip and maybe the grip itself. I have owned 2 original SS officers swords and both were very detailed in workmanship and overall apperance and both were by different makers. I hope that I am wrong and it is an original SS officers sword for you. Lets see what others have to say. My opinion is the scabbard has a chance, but I wouldnt bet the farm yet on the sword.

Comment

well just a quick thing i seen was the placement of runs i looked at all min and they seem to 700 on set. this one is set at 530 and the shape of the badge looks diffrent from mine but that be manfacture i thouhgt i read the runs hads to be set at 7 but i could be wrond

Comment

I also would like to see what some others say, but am very sorry to have to say that for myself I would not be holding my breath for either the sword or the scabbard. With the not as clear as i would like images presented (no criticism intended, as I have problems imaging myself). Having in at least one of the images what corresponds to a fake I first saw back in 2003. Which is a specific type of manufacturing defect/characteristic. Best Regards, FP
              Last edited by Frogprince; 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM. Reason: minor date correction

Comment

Thanks for the replys,
                As I said i've had it for years and didn't pay much so it's no loss if not real,
                Obviously wouldn't complain if it was real

I've been using my girlfriends flashy expensive camera, so i'll try the good old camera phone tonight and get some shots of the scabbard, the simplicity of the camera may work in my favour for this.

Cheers guys,

Jon

Comment

Having seen closer pics I don't like the grip or runes button. Probably it as you bought it, oh well - nothing ventured and all that

Take it outside in the daylight shade and use the macro feature [often a little flower symbol] to zoom in, you will get 100% better photos then.

Comment

Cheers, i'll try that tonight.

Only set me back about £80 originally, and it's certainly a nice display. Item.

Comment

If you don't mind ,here are some comparison shots of my repro SS sword,from world wide arms(£150).These are unmarked,I added a white leather washer and resprayed the scabbard.John
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hilt and scabbard details.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Fake -Jon,you are correct.

Comment

That one's almost identical.

Thanks for all of your time and input

Comment

The sword which is the subject of this thread is a reproduction. I don't have the hyperlink anymore but you used to be able to find them for sale on the internet for $89 USD.

Sorry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X