Forestry Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forestry Dagger

I just picked up this Forestry Dagger made by F.W. Holler from the grandson of a veteran. As you can see, it is in super condition and would clean up very nicely. Can anyone give me a realistic value for this dagger? Thanks in advance. Barry
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stormfighter; 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM.

--
    Attached Files

Comment

---
      Attached Files

Comment

-----
        Attached Files

Comment

------
          Attached Files

Comment

-------
            Attached Files

Comment

--------
              Attached Files

Comment

WOW!, wonderful Forestry Hirschfanger by a great maker. Looks great and everyone likes the one's with the Swaz!! Congrats! Kevin.

Comment

Is this a heavy brass example, if so I am afraid it is post war, if it is a lightweight piece it will be O.K, I suspect looking at it it will be brass. It has the look of an early atwood piece to me.

Gary

Comment

It's definitely a light weight example. I seriously doubt it's an Atwood piece since I bought five other original items from the same person; however, my ears are open if anyone thinks this is a postwar piece.
                    Last edited by Stormfighter; 06-16-2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

That's what I've been told too, the Holler 3R type like this were all lightweight & Atwood pieces were fashioned from brass. Gary's the man on hirschfängers & if there's anyone I'd trust on them, it would be him.

Comment

Gary, can you tell me how much a real example should weigh and how much the heavy brass example should weigh? Anything else I should look for? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Comment

I have no idea on the weights of the different types, are the scabbard fittings magnetic, if so it'll be O.K. These etched holler marks are usually found on atwood pieces, the original holler pieces that I have come across all have stamped marks. Atwood pieces started surfacing in the 1950's I believe so they do have similar wear patterns to the originals, there should be no white area's on the grip plates where they have been cut to fit, they normally tone down to a nice golden hue. On lightweight pieces the blade usually feels the heaviest part of the hirschfänger whilst on the brass pieces it is somewhat better balanced due to the heavier fittings.

The brass pieces tend to look to have heavier gilt than the lightweight pieces, where the gilt has come off you normally see the copper flash underneath on the lightweight types or even the base metal sometimes, on the brass type you will see the brass base metal.

I hope this helps a bit, Hollers of this type are probably the most difficult to tell the originals from the repro's.

The pictures shows the maker mark that I have found on the original Holler eagle and swastika hirschfängers that I know of, I cannot say for certain that this is the only mark that is correct, I can only say this mark is correct.

Gary
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks very much Gary. The scabbard fittings are not magnetic. Is this the kiss of death, or just a possible indicator of a fake? I have taken several more photos for you to review.

Barry
                            Attached Files

Comment

--
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X