K98 Bayonet - Scabbard Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K98 Bayonet - Scabbard Advice

I just acquired several decent WWII K98 bayonets with scabbards for my RC K98s. They are in good condition and obviously stored for many years in cosmoline. Removing the cosmoline from the bayonets was time consuming, but straightforward. My question is, what is the best way to remove the cosmoline and whatever other gunk is inside the scabbard? If I insert a clean blade in the scabbard, it comes out filthy, and I'd like to get the inside reasonably clean and lightly oiled. I have a few thoughts, but figured there must be many other collectors who have done this and I'd like to learn by their experience. Suggestions?

Hello
    For K98 blued scabbard you can use a special liquid product to remove the grease that you can find in a hardware shop. I use this kind of product and it doesn't alter the blue. If you can remove the springs which are inside the scabbard it is easier to remove the grease inside the scabbard. I had to that with a scabbard which had been filled with grease.

Regards
    Alain

Comment

Thanks, I wish I could remove the springs, but they look like they are permanently riveted. I will soak the inside with a degreaser and hope that it softens it up so a little vigorous shaking with fresh degreaser cleans it out.

Comment

Hello
        Sometimes springs are difficult to remove because the dry grease holds them at the scabbard throat.
        Regards
        Alain

Comment

Thanks, I soaked the inside overnight with a degreaser, rinsed them a couple of times with clean degreaser, blew them out with compressed air, and sprayed the inside with some REM oil. They came out great.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X