Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luft 1st pattern inscribed Opinions/info

Hello to all,

I have never ventured into the edged weapons realm, but I am attempting to help a friend sell pieces he inherited. My main collecting habits have always leaned toward medals and badges, but after seeing some of this stuff, I wonder if I shouldn't pick some of this up too!

Here are some pictures of a Luftwaffe 1st pattern dagger, inscribed beautifully on both sides. One side has the German inscription, "In memory of my time in service" the other has the Luftwaffe eagle flanked by war adlers.

My friend was offered 1200 by a reputable dealer....that seems a little high to me, so I wonder....is there something special about this that I am missing? What is it and how much is it's value? Is this a rare maker? (Max Weyersberg) Any info is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

John
    Attached Files

another pic

Here is a pic of the blade
    Attached Files

Comment

Comment

2nd inscription

2nd inscription
        Attached Files

Comment

w/ scabbard

w/ scabbard
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

I would venture to say that etched 1st Model Luftwaffe daggers are not all that common. It also appears that the etched panels are colored - perhaps dark blue. This would have been an additional expense over and above the etching. Maker Weyersberg produced very nice quality edged weapons and this looks like it might be an early nickle silver version but it is hard to tell from the scans. My thought is that $1200.00 would be a VERY good BUY for what ever dealer offered your friend that amount. I hope that this helps and that your friend holds out for much more dollars.
            Regards,
            Dick

Comment

I'm editing my post to try and clear up what I'm trying to say. I agree with Dick that this is a very nice dagger and is worth more than the offer. Unfortunately when selling to a dealer, they are going to want to be able to do about a 30% markup. While I'm usually conservative, I would price it somewhere around $1600. If I were your friend, I'd put it on the Estand first. Hopefully this makes more sense.
              Last edited by Larry Lipps (Snigley); 05-13-2004, 06:33 PM.
              Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Thank you for the info

Thanks for the info guys...much appreciated

I will try to convince the owner of this blade to put it up on the estand....

John
                Originally posted by Larry Lipps (Snigley)
                I'm editing my post to try and clear up what I'm trying to say. I agree with Dick that this is a very nice dagger and is worth more than the offer. Unfortunately when selling to a dealer, they are going to want to be able to do about a 30% markup. While I'm usually conservative, I would price it somewhere around $1600. If I were your friend, I'd put it on the Estand first. Hopefully this makes more sense.

Comment

I am not sure about the engraving. It doesn't look period correct to me. If it is, the price you are asking is very very cheap.

Comment

This is in the E-stand. Any buyer should have plenty of time to get it inspected. Compare that etch to my second model Voos. Look at the head and wings of the eagles. If I could get $1200 for that dagger, I would jump on it.
                    Last edited by Colorado; 05-14-2004, 08:02 PM.
                    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

A good Point

Originally posted by Colorado
                      This is in the E-stand. Any buyer should have plenty of time to get it inspected. Compare that etch to my second model Voos. Look at the head and wings of the eagles. If I could get $1200 for that dagger, I would jump on it.
                      A good point....I explained the estand rules to my seller under which this piece is being sold and he is OK with it. I have had two dealers look at this, and they were ready to plunck down money on the spot, albeit less, so if it doesn't sell on the estand it goes to them.

A little background: The deceased who was the previous owner was a vet...no kids, wife predeceased him...no will...the family just wants to get rid of the stuff...and its my job to get them the most I can...

I have put up an SA uniform, and I have contacted others on the forum regarding a Luft 2nd pattern, a Luft sword, and other items. All the stuff so far has been authentic...and in handling this dagger I have no reason to question it.

If this inscription was faked how would it be done? Are there some measurements I can take regarding blade thickness or inscription size? Copies plague this hobby and I have been the victim of a few in my time collecting and I definitely don't want that fate befalling another. Again any help or guidance is appreciated.

John

Comment

Different design and from a bayonet, but compare the quality and detail of the engraving between the dedications and you can decide for yourself. TO answer your question. Modern blades are laser etched and the quality varies, but most fall short of originals in detail and crispness. Many patterns (I am not sure of yours) never existed at all.

I bought a a pile of repro stuff from a WW2 veteran's daughter after convinceing her I was not trying to rip her off. She thought it was all good. He got in the 50's and 60's at guns shows. Being a Vet means something, but not everything.
                        Last edited by Colorado; 05-14-2004, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I'd like to add a footnote to this piece concerning the blade etch. Based on the description of the previous owner I gave the etch credit for being original even though I could not find an equivalent example in any of my reference books. Etched first model Luft's are rare and I don't want to possibly cast doubt on a perfectly original dagger. That being said, the eagle is unlike anything I've ever seen on an etched dagger. Sorry, but this one is over my head.
                          Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Good try

Thanks to everyone for their help and opinions...I know you guys are trying to help. I have posted a question a German Daggers.com to see if I can get some info over there...I will keep you posted

John

Comment

I suspect you will get the same response as mine or even more blunt. Note the differences between our photos. Look at the how the etch is crooked and the lower line falls off at the bottom.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X