SS dagger on e stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS dagger on e stand

Hi I have had a few p.m.s saying this one may need discused. So all oponions are welcome.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=516244

I for one don't like the dedication. It looks fake to me.

However I like to hear from my other colleagues their opinions.

-wagner-

Comment

From the pic. I looked at the blade has no cross grain and appears to aged as well. But not the signiture ?

Comment

Originally posted by David Guist View Post
        From the pic. I looked at the blade has no cross grain and appears to aged as well. But not the signiture ?
        To me this looks like an original Rohm dagger that was later Full Ground and then at sometime post-war a Full Rohm etch reapplied.

I don't like the structure of some of the letters.
        Also if you look very closely below the Rohm etching and some above, you will see what looks like filing marks that were there on the original dedication removal.

They just can't seem to leave these things alone.

As my friend 'Johnny' would say; 'There's too much money in the hobby.'

-wagner-

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
          To me this looks like an original Rohm dagger that was later Full Ground and then at sometime post-war a Full Rohm etch reapplied.

I don't like the structure of some of the letters.
          Also if you look very closely below the Rohm etching and some above, you will see what looks like filing marks that were there on the original dedication removal.

They just can't seem to leave these things alone.

-wagner-
          Serge thats exactly what I think has happened to this one.

Comment

Just adding a photo to keep this thread from becoming worthless when the link is gone.
            Attached Files

Comment

Obviously dedication was recovered. I think ,original blade with destroyed dedication would be better than such variant . To my mind the nut from another set. Maybe it is parts dagger.

Comment

I posted this dagger, It was originaly bought from Thomas Johnson in the 1980`s and before I traded into it it was shown to Tom Wittmann and the same day he looked at it I called him and he told me it was a poor blade but the dedacation was correct and authentic.
                Maybe my photo are palying tricks or something. I have known Tom for over 20 years and I do feel he knows what he is talking about and I trust him.
                I know everyone may have other opinions but I will go with the expert who wrote the book on SS daggers.
                I just wanted to get my say in.
                I thank you all for your opinons.
                Just wanted to give you mine and where it came from and who checked it out before I traded into it over a half dozen years ago.
                Just my two cents and a member of this form for a number of years.
                Regards
                Walterlo

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
                  I agree, with Johnnys statement!

Please post clear photos. I have serious doubts about this blade.

Comment

Originally posted by walterlo View Post
                    I posted this dagger, It was originaly bought from Thomas Johnson in the 1980`s and before I traded into it it was shown to Tom Wittmann and the same day he looked at it I called him and he told me it was a poor blade but the dedacation was correct and authentic.
                    Maybe my photo are palying tricks or something. I have known Tom for over 20 years and I do feel he knows what he is talking about and I trust him.
                    I know everyone may have other opinions but I will go with the expert who wrote the book on SS daggers.
                    I just wanted to get my say in.
                    I thank you all for your opinons.
                    Just wanted to give you mine and where it came from and who checked it out before I traded into it over a half dozen years ago.
                    Just my two cents and a member of this form for a number of years.
                    Regards
                    Walterlo

Of course you wil go with the 'names' that say it's good. However if you are serious about not burning the guy that buys it from you, you would look at the area where the fraud is usually found. 'Hint': it's most always in the area where the money is.

I have blown up the Rohm dedication area and what I see is the Rohm etch is placed OVER the vertical filing marks. That is clear evidence that the etch was added AFTER the removal of the dedication by filing away across the blade.

Also the letter structure of the dedication is also known as post war fake ( a better fake but still fake). The most glaring of these letter is the tail on the 'm' in 'Rohm'. It has the 'stump', cut-off tail as seen on the 'Stump fakes', rather than the long 'fish-tail' as noted on originals.

But of course all this is just my opinion.
                    Eric has asked for better photos and we feel it is necessary to study this further.

- Truth does not fear investigation. -

-wagner-

Comment

I agree with Wags here, the Klaas has the "fishtail" m, I have one and the few I've seen have the same characteristic. Something to keep in mind is that even the published dagger gurus like the 2 Toms, Ron W, etc. have changed some of their views over the years as we learn more, and more information comes to light. I think in the last 5 years much has been uncovered by all including the published authors. It may be worth having either Johnson or Wittmann re-evaluate the dagger now... just MHO...

Red

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X