Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damascus SS

Hello Frends
    I got this stuff from a widow. My opinion 1000% original - what say you?
    Regards from Germany

Damascus SS

Very interesting - especially so as the Damascus Smith Paul MULLER has previously claimed the credit for origiating this type of item - albeit with a "Himmler signature" added to it. Can you give us any more information?

Fjs

Comment

Jan,

What is the length and width of the blade you show?
      Can you also post a clear, straight on picture of the two markings? The tang and blade marks.

Thanks.

Tony
      An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by F. J. Stephens View Post
        Very interesting - especially so as the Damascus Smith Paul MULLER has previously claimed the credit for origiating this type of item - albeit with a "Himmler signature" added to it. Can you give us any more information?

Fjs
        Hi Fred,

Good to see you posting here. I faded from the GD site quite a while ago.

This piece may hold some promise as an unhilted knife/dagger blade. I wouldn't confuse it with the postwar letter openners that are the work of the Muller/Kurten efforts.

This piece looks like an unfinished blade waiting for a handle and finishing up. I don't think it was made for a replacement for a military or political dagger as the shape is not right.

The other thing to determine would be when it was forged?

Let's see if others have any opinions or thoughts on this.

All the best,

Tony

Comment

Last edited by JanXX; 04-21-2011, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1 View Post
              Jan,

What is the length and width of the blade you show?
              Can you also post a clear, straight on picture of the two markings? The tang and blade marks.

Thanks.

Tony

LENGTH 22cm
              WIDTH 2,5cm

regards

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1 View Post
                Hi Fred,

Good to see you posting here. I faded from the GD site quite a while ago.

This piece may hold some promise as an unhilted knife/dagger blade. I wouldn't confuse it with the postwar letter openners that are the work of the Muller/Kurten efforts.

This piece looks like an unfinished blade waiting for a handle and finishing up. I don't think it was made for a replacement for a military or political dagger as the shape is not right.

The other thing to determine would be when it was forged?

Let's see if others have any opinions or thoughts on this.

All the best,

Tony

Hello friends, I have just received a message that the letter opener SS - correct?

Comment

This is for sure NOT a SS blade..... It is a letter opener blade blank more than likley period made pre1946.... The Dinger Zinner Solingen for sure tells me it was a advertising item. There are a few of these listed with Mr. Wittmann (Carl Wester) made the ones he has listed...Regards: James B. My old User name Damast ( In my collection I personally own 2 Carl Wester and 2 Paul Dinger letter openers ..Along with other damascus blank blades made by Muller)
                  Last edited by damasco; 04-21-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

J
                    Originally posted by damasco View Post
                    This is for sure NOT a SS blade..... It is a letter opener blade blank more than likley period made pre1946.... The Dinger Zinner Solingen for sure tells me it was a advertising item. There are a few of these listed with Mr. Wittmann (Carl Wester) made the ones he has listed...Regards: James B. My old User name Damast ( In my collection I personally own 2 Carl Wester and 2 Paul Dinger letter openers ..Along with other damascus blank blades made by Muller)
                    James,

To to hear from you.

If it is a letter openner as you say then would it be safe to say thst it was never hiltef with a handle or grip? The exposed tang would certainly not be conductive to a finished look, nor would it be very comfortable to use as such.

Just some thoughts.

Tony

P.S. If you were at the SOS this year I must have missed you there. Any interesting finds?

Comment

Hello: Tony Yes , bought two nice Damascus Imperial swords (One was a parting gift to the regiment Commander ) About the blade blank (yes of course never hilted) I have one blank very much the same... Regards: James

Comment

Originally posted by damasco View Post
                        Hello: Tony Yes , bought two nice Damascus Imperial swords (One was a parting gift to the regiment Commander ) About the blade blank (yes of course never hilted) I have one blank very much the same... Regards: James
                        James,

Like minds think alike. I managed couple myself. One a very long damascus Model 1889 degen and a decent 1852 model cavalry saber, damascus of course. On the way out late Saturday I scored a very nice Eickhorn Derflinger from the Field
                        Marschal series for the cost of a decent bayonet. What can I say......even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

All the best,

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X