NCO Sword SS ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCO Sword SS ?????

First let me say that I have no illusions regarding the possibility of this being a period SS sword. Nor do I have any money invested, it was given to me as a gift many years ago. I always took it to be standard Alcoso NCO sword in great condition, but blemished by someone attempting to improve it’s value.
    I am in the process of sorting out swords I no longer need in my collection, and had a closer look at the engraved runes. They are deeply and cleanly cut. The bottom is decorated with very fine line engraving as described in Wittmanns SS dagger and sword book. This gave me some pause since the sword was modified long before Wittmann published his book. How would the person who cut the engraving have known about the line engraving? It is almost impossible to see in a photograph, or with the naked eye. Has this been described in any other publication? Is it possible that the same person modified a bunch of these swords at the same time (post war)? Does anyone else have one of these for comparison?
    Attached Files

I will try to take better closeups when I have good lighting.

Comment

SS Sword

this model SS Sword DID indeed exist in the period. I know of two examples that came directly from the original veteran in the late 1950s to early 1960s, so don't be too quick to condem this piece. JMO,

Comment

Thank you Ron, you comment is very much appreciated, you are a great asset to this forum.
        I contacted Mr. Wittmann as well, and received a very fast reply as follows:

Thanks a lot for your email and the picture of your NCO dove head
        sword with SS runes engraved/etched into the langet.

The embellishment looks period to me and consistent with others
        I have seen in the past. If there is nothing additional on the sword
        or blade that would add to the interest, this sword ought to bring
        about $1500+- on the retail marketplace.

I hope this helps you.

Best,

Thomas T. Wittmann

Between Rons positive assesment and Mr. Wittmanns confirmation this is a very pleasant suprise indeed.

Comment

Congrats Wolfgang!
          It is always nice to get this kind of a surprise.
          Ralph.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X