No announcement yet.

3 Daggers: SA/Heer/Kriegsmarine Opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, one other thing I would expect the Army to be a Holler.
    www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lakesidetrader
      The SA looks fine too just ask him to check that the scabbard fittings are nonmagnetic, If they are magnetic the scabbard is not original to the dagger.

Paul,

Could you expand on this bit please?

Cheers,
      David.
      At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

The scabbard original to this piece was anodized. The one you show is painted. Most likely it's the original scabbard that's been repainted. If this is the case the fittings are nickel silver and nonmagnetic. There is a chance however the scabbard has been switched somewhere along the like for a RZM vintage painted scabbard. These have plated magnetic fittings.
        www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

i would pass on the Navy. I think the pommel is a fake, at least I have never seen one like that.

Comment

That Navy has an odd pommel,and what's up with where the blade and crossguard meet?I also think that the wire wrap looks too new for a base grip in that condition.The SA looks good,but the scabbard may have been refinished,or a replacement one.The Army is the pick of the litter(for me anyway!!),but the patina of the piece is interesting.Seems darker the lower you look,especially the scabbard,perhaps it's just the lighting.The portepee is not tied in an approved fashion,and almost appears to have been added later,look for 'dents' about five inches up from the ball on the cord to see if it might have been tied around the crossguard and grip at some time.The prices Lakeside gave seem proper to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X